Compound Mitre Saw vs. Flip Over Saw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With some serious home renovation projects coming up, I resolved to dig into my piggy bank and get a 12" DeWalt compound sliding mitre saw (DW718, saw it in the States last week for less than $600, but sadly the same in pounds here). Undaunted, I went round a couple of decent shops here to check out that model and the competition, but in one place I was offered the alternative of an ex-demo flip over saw, the D27105, which is apparently DeWalt's latest offering of a combination saw. The price I would pay is roughly the same for each, although the flip over saw list price is much more.

I don't often do rip sawing, and if I do I use my circular saw which has always proved adequate, as precision has rarely been an issue. I can't immediately see that my needs will change, but I'd hate to pass up on the flexibility offered by this flip over saw, if it makes no odds.

As far as I can see, the only advanatge of the sliding saw is its increased cutting capacity, although again I don't see an immediate need to cut anything as wide as this particular tool will cope with - it's just that sooner or later I always seem to regret buying tools that are too small !

Is there any other potential advantage/disadvantage of the combination saw that I ought to consider over the more conventional DW718?[code:1][/code:1]

Sponsored Links
Flip-overs have the advantage that you get the best of both worlds in a single package. For site work that is a real boon, especially stuff like roofing, fencing, etc. The induction motor also means that they eat hardwood and are pretty quiet againsyt all universal motor machines like the chop saw. The downside to the flip-overs is that they don't have a huge chop capacity and the mitre settings aren't as accurate (although Trend's Mitre Fix sorts out that problem). DWs newest baby seems to have solved the capacity probblem, but I can't say if it's any better than the DW742/742 series it follows on from.

I'd say that if you don't need the versatility of two tools in one then stick with the SCMS. They're a lot lighter to lug around!

Scrit

DW742 (flip-over) user for a long time - they last forever

depends exactly what you think it will be used for afterwards

trouble with the flip saw is if your going to do things properly moving from one mode to the other is a bit of a pain
having said that its more flexible you can cut sheet material and reduce timber and convert say 20 by 44 into 20 by 20x 2

where as the chop saw is great if you have to do roofing as it goes to 61%[locked off] and 47%in compound mode
it also does trenching

i have the very accurate but similar dw712 altough i had to buy the stand seperate
http://www.powertoolsuk.co.uk/webcat/details.asp?ProductCode=DW712 PLUS&ID=1379
add £5.55 plus vat for postage so about £506 total

personally I'm going for the Bosch GCM12sd 305mm complete with stand for an all in price of £550 :cool: Each to their own.

Sponsored Links
I have a DW743 (I am not sure how it differs from the 742) as has been said they are heavy saws, not really very portable. They are very sturdy, but I would only consider such saws where they can be left in situ for a while. For short jobs I think the lighter option of having 2 saws would be preferable.

Personally I wouldn't have another combi you can do better for the money.

As Scrit said, the induction motors are better and quieter though.

paulbrown said:
I have a DW743 (I am not sure how it differs from the 742) as has been said they are heavy saws, not really very portable. They are very sturdy, but I would only consider such saws where they can be left in situ for a while. For short jobs I think the lighter option of having 2 saws would be preferable.

Personally I wouldn't have another combi you can do better for the money.

As Scrit said, the induction motors are better and quieter though.

742 identical to 743 i believe the only difference is the 742 only has the knee buttons where as the 743 also has a switch on the handle for when your chopping

Cheers for that BA, mine does have a switch on the handle as you say.

I've had a dewalt 743 flipover saw for at least ten years (well ok it was made by elu then, but dewalt rebadged it) and it has always done everything ive asked of it (including converting 6" oak to planks, along the grain in two cuts). I got it because the cabinetmakers where i worked had it as a backup and it could handle most of the jobs of the serious equipment at a pinch, including cutting 8x4 veneer faced boards to the fraction of a mm (need two people though). it is phenomenaly accurate provided you set it up right and take some care.
another thing that dewalt dont tell you, but elu used as a selling feature is that you can put in a metal blade or disc and use it for steel.

when I bought mine it was £650 - ten years later it is the same price, guess that makes it a load cheaper.

If you are feeling rich you can get an extension table for it too so it'll cut 8x4 sheets fully supported.

when mine dies i'll buy another, it must have made me more money than any other tool i've got.

I used to have a DW718 and found it not to be that accurate. After it was stolen I wanted to replace it with a 12" Hitachi ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...3102-5363363?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=228013 ), but it is not available in the UK. reluctantly I opted for the DW718 as it is lighter, smaller and has a greater cutting capacity. I have found it to be very accurate and (considering it's size) easy to manoeuver around. I added the Dewalt laser system to the saw and it also works very well.

I use a Festol TS 75 for trimming.

I considered the D27105, but it was just to heavy and cumbersome to lug around set up.

Let us know what you ended up with anyway, good luck :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back