Compression Connector and Tool advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've run multiple runs of WF100 cable throughout the house which come back to a Triax multiswitch in my study cupboard.

Originally I was just going to use the screw on type connectors (f-type for the sat feeds and Belling-Lee/IEC for the tv aerials), but having done a bit more research I would rather use compression connectors.

Would I be correct in assuming that RG6 and WF100 cable is all but identical with respects to cable width when selecting the connector size?

I've found it all but impossible to find Belling-Lee/IEC compression connectors.
I saw F-Conn mentioned in a different post, but I can't seem to find any F-Conn products listed for sale.

Does this connection type actually exist anymore and if so can someone recommend somewhere where I can purchase them?

I assume the alternative is to use f connectors and then use an f to coax adapter?

If it's just a case of using f type compression connectors everywhere - what are the better brands?
I've seen Webro and Cabelcon recommended. What about other brands such as Platinum tools?

Also are there any recommendations for a compression tool? I have quite a few connections to do, so happy to spend more on better quality if necessary.

I see platinum tools have one, https://www.platinumtools.com/products/crimpers/coax-crimpers/sealsmart-ii-compression-tool-16220c/

I also saw the Ideal one is recommended, https://cpc.farnell.com/ideal/30-793/omniseal-pro-compression-tool/dp/TL15430

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
I use one of the cheapo ones from Amazon for F connectors. It is metal, seems extremely strong and came with 20 F connectors and a cable stripper.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=f+conn...sprefix=f+con,aps,159&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-a-p_4_5
I think all the brands are identical.

Having used screw on F connectors in the past and stripped the cable manually, using the kit gives me a deep feeling of joy. Both the stripper and the compression fittings work extremely well (and the plugs fit my F-plug spanner, yeah!).

Subsequent plugs are also Amazon (and cost about the same as the kit).

Not much tolerance for different cable sizes. Mine says "works with RG-6, RG-59, RG-58 etc". I think that WF100 is physically equivalent:
http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/cable.htm
quotes 6.8cm diameter, my RG-6 cable is 6.8cm diameter also.

The plugs will take slightly thicker insulation but are sized to the diameter of the dielectric. They wouldn't take some fatter (7.38mm) cable I had lying around.

Having Googled and found out how crappy my RG-6 cable is, I might redo everything. It's only used for short patch leads but that's how much deep joy I get from being able to knock a cable out in 2 minutes without having to twist the plugs on or strip anything with my teeth.

Thanks for responding. Very much appreciated.

I was kinda looking for something that was branded (obviously I liked paying over the odds for something :D) - everything on Amazon seems to be unbranded which is a pain.

Out of interest did you ever find a compression fitting for an aerial connector?

As @Gary_Funwick suggests, the crimp tool that looks like a red--handled stapler will do just fine for small domestic jobs.

I have a couple of professional compression tools made by Liberty Cable Co. from the USA. (Makers of the ConnecTec plugs.)

In form factor, these tools look like the red plastic one from your first link, but these are solid metal. The older one I have is made of steel. The newer one is made from aircraft grade aluminium. To buy as one-off tools you're probably looking at £150 a piece.

Out of curiosity,I also bought one of the 'stapler' kind to compare. It doesn't feel as solid in the hand, but with a bit of practice it does just as well as the more expensive tools.

My guess would be that after putting on maybe 300 - 400 plugs that the cheaper one might start showing signs of wear, so anyone like me who is a heavy duty user might benefit from either buying the better tool or replacing the cheaper one every couple of months. You'd have to be doing a massive job as a DIYer though to justify spending on the better tool.

FWIW, I think the compression plug is probably more important than the tool in ensuring a good finished fit.

Yes, WF100 is an RG6-sized cable.

As for compression RF plugs, I have some that I use with a nutter-mad super-shielded BBC RF coax. The cable is daft money per metre because of the huge copper content and its rarity. The plugs aren't exactly cheap either, but they aren't stratospheric. If you absolutely must have some compression RF male coax plugs then I could sort you out as long as you don't need more that say half a dozen or so.

Sponsored Links
FYI, here is what the compression coax plugs look like.

Note, you're seeing this in pre-compressed form, so the barrel length is longer because the plug hasn't yet been closed on to the cable.

coax compression.jpg

As @Gary_Funwick suggests, the crimp tool that looks like a red--handled stapler will do just fine for small domestic jobs.
So the basic answer is the crimp tool doesn't make a great deal of difference unless I'm planning on doing hundreds.

I assume that the connectors are universal enough, so I could buy one of the cheap ones from Amazon or the £50 one from cpc and in theory they should both work in the same way?

FWIW, I think the compression plug is probably more important than the tool in ensuring a good finished fit.

Yes, WF100 is an RG6-sized cable.

As for compression RF plugs, I have some that I use with a nutter-mad super-shielded BBC RF coax. The cable is daft money per metre because of the huge copper content and its rarity. The plugs aren't exactly cheap either, but they aren't stratospheric. If you absolutely must have some compression RF male coax plugs then I could sort you out as long as you don't need more that say half a dozen or so.
It's very generous to offer to supply the male coax plugs, but I probably need closer to 10-15 and I was looking for a way to purchase additional ones in the future if required. If it's a case of getting the f connectors and then using an adapter (like this, https://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-f-to-coax-plugs-pack-of-10/39772) then so be it.

Edit: I wrote the above and then saw your more recent reply with the photos - they look like the ones that are listed on the tdi group website.

If the plugs are more important, what ones would you recommend?
I've seen that cpc have triax and webro. I could also get an account with tdi group as they sell the platinum tools ones in the UK.

Thanks again for your help, it's very much appreciated.

My view is that the difference the compression tool makes only becomes significant for higher-volume users.

It's possible to balls-up the fitting of a compression plug with any tool; so just having the expensive tool won't guarantee perfect results all the time. Where you haven't used compression plugs before, then it's sensible to expect some failures. Nine times out of ten a failure is down to cable prep and the siting of the plug on the cable end before closure. Very occasionally you get a slightly misshapen plug, but normally you can spot this before even attempting to fit.

I use the same Labgear plugs that Screwing sells at 10 for £7-ish. I tend to buy in 100 lots though. I have been using them for the best part of a decade. I haven't found anything I want to use in preference. They're good.

Regarding the coax compression plugs, I have them on the van, but never use them with an ordinary TV job. It's OTT for a couple of reasons.

The first are practical reasons. By the time I've gone and got these out of the van I could have made up 3 or 4 plug ends with ordinary coax plugs using the knife and cutters I carry.

Second, the longer plug barrel can put more strain on a coax socket, or just get in the way more.

Third, other than cosmetic reasons, it doesn't make much difference. Fit a standard coax plug well enough and it will work just the same.

Finally, if ever I needed to shorten a coax cable then I can do so without binning an otherwise perfectly serviceable plug end.

In short, I don't bother with compression coax RF plugs, or F plugs with adapters for the same reasons as above when a Belling Lee RF plug or socket does just as well and, in some circumstances, maybe even better.

Incidentally, you say you need twelve and possibly more plugs. That seems like a lot.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back