Webro hd100 f cable crimp connectors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, first house job of new year for me has been setting up a freeview distribution system, the cable I used the above Webro hd100, I used this to replace mediocre pre installed unscreened brown coax which was put in when the house was built. The signal strength and quality is awesome, I couldn't be happier, my only trouble is I am struggling to find correct f crimp connectors? (the type sky and virgin media use) I have the crimping tool, I just had to make do with the gold f screw on connectors that was supplied with the cable, they are okay but a bit loose for my liking.
So I am looking for the correct f crimp connectors for this cable to make a more secure and professional finish.
thanks.

Sponsored Links
Just to add, I have crimped a lot of cables in the past, virgin media, sky ect, freeview cables that are about the same size as the hd100, Its just any f crimp connector I have tried just doesn't want to fit with to this cable? I have tried other cables of the same size and they fit fine. its bizarre. The only difference with this cable and the other cables I have worked with is the extra screening which covers the braiding. I also have a cable stripping tool, so the cable is stripped to the correct size.
thanks

As an industry, those of us here who do professional have moved away from crimp plugs and now use compression fit instead. They're said to do less damage to the cable on fitting. That might be a better solution too as, AFAIK, the dielectric size (the white bit) is a slightly narrower diameter than standard WF100 in order to accommodate the extra shielding layer without making the outer too much bigger than WF100.

HD100 has a dielectric with a diameter of 4.6mm. WF100 is 4.8mm. This doesn't sound like much of a difference, but it might mean that the inner tube of ordinary crimp- and compression-fit meets the shielding head-on rather than slipping in between the shield and dielectric. That would make the plugs difficult to push home fully, and the result would be a loose fit once compressed.

I've never felt the need to use HD100. For typical consumer-level TV and Sat installs WF100 is more than good enough. If I was rewiring for Virgin then yes, HD100; but strictly speaking, VM installs including the cable are VM property because of the way they balance the load on their network.

On my installs I use compression fit on to WF100 for outdoor and anywhere that the home owner might end up tugging on cables. For other places where the cable is unlikely to be moved, I use good quality screw-on F plugs with inner rubber gasket seals.

Coming back to your HD100, have a think about using compression-fit. The CableCon, FCon or Triax F56 CX3 "7.0" plugs (blue band, white writing) are said to be a good fit.

If this or any other reply was helpful to you, on each one please press the THANKS button which appears when you hover the mouse pointer near the Quote Multi-quote buttons.

Thanks, sounds like I have gone a bit overkill with the cable, the reasoning why I bought it is because I have an aerial in the attic I thought this cable would be best to keep the signal loss to a minimum, as you know yourself aerials are weaker in the attic than they are outside, I may get round to putting the aerial outside in the future as that is the best place for it. I will give your suggested connectors a try and hopefully it should fit.
thanks

Sponsored Links
Hello again, Would i get away with just the f screw on type? basically I am only after a secure connection, the gold f screw on plugs that came supplied with the cable just feel loose to me, ( you can rotate the f plug around the cable too easily, but its not loose enough to pull it off cable, so in other words I am just after an f plug that has a tighter fit to the cable, what would be the correct size plug for this cable? sorry for being unclear. thanks

Last edited:
Regarding the suitability - Yes, with decent plugs and a bit of weather-proofing there's no reason why you can't use screw-on plugs anywhere apart from extreme areas. The main reasons for switching to crimp or compression is for speed of fitting.

Get some F-plugs with the internal rubber gaskets. An internal diameter of 6.4-6.5mm will give you a tight fit with very little risk of separation except where there's catastrophic event. You might need a little silicone grease to help with the fit of the cable is cold and stiff; or you can gently warm it to make the sheath more compliant.

To weather-proof for outdoor fitting, a little silicone grease on the fittings will help keep them corrosion free, but it's very much optional. Once the lead is attached, wrap the outer with self-amalgamating tape. It will form a rubber jacket around the fitting and keep away the worst of the weather.

Re: the fit of these gold plated plugs. They're probably 7mm internal diameter which would explain why they're loose. But just to check; are you removing the outer and inner foils, then folding the braid back over the sheath so that the plug thread is biting in to that as well as the sheath?

Gold plating doesn't really do much apart from look a bit bling. The few microns thickness of anodising is easy to wear away with the action of tightening the plug.

Anyway, if you're struggling to find the correct size of plugs in a decent quality product then come back to me. They're not expensive.

If this or any other reply was helpful to you, on each one please press the THANKS button which appears when you hover the mouse pointer near the Quote Multi-quote buttons.

Hi,yes I just strip the cable remove the first foil which covers the braiding then fold the braids back on the outer sheath, then I remove the secondary foil which covers the foam dialectric.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back