compression connector without central register.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know that you can get soldered connectors, without central registers. (Are these called slip connectors??)

Can you buy compression fittings without the central register that can be slid along pipe for those who are not confident solderers. (I appreciate that carefull positioning is necessary to centralise them and that once tightened they cannot be removed)

Could you simply remove the central register of a standard connector with a 15 or 22mm drill.

Sponsored Links
jobloggs said:
I know that you can get soldered connectors, without central registers. (Are these called slip connectors??)
Yes they are.

jobloggs said:
Can you buy compression fittings without the central register that can be slid along pipe for those who are not confident solderers. (I appreciate that carefull positioning is necessary to centralise them and that once tightened they cannot be removed)
Yes. See this Prestex fitting , although this isn't available in 22mm.

jobloggs said:
Could you simply remove the central register of a standard connector with a 15 or 22mm drill.
Yes, but it would be better to do it with a parallel reamer.

My local merchant does do a "repair coupling" in 22mm, though I don't know the make.
For soldered versions, if you find a normal coupler which just has a small "stops" in it, you can often remove it. If you force a piece of scrap pipe right through it will be pushed back, then a little scraping with a penknife blade will clear the rest.

You can file the stop out of a compression coupler, but a 15 or 22mm holesaw is a lot quicker. I have also used a sharp flatbit.

Many cheap end feed straight connectors are so roughly made that a fair proportion have inadequate stops. These can be a nuisance if you don't realise this and end up with one pipe end only just in the fitting, but I mark mine and use them as slip fittings where required. Much cheaper than buying purpose made ones!

Sponsored Links
I didn't realise you got purpose made 'slip' fittings, I needed one a while back and ended up filing out the internal stop ring - took ages but it did work :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back