Compression Depression!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I had to replace about 6 x 22mm fittings today (pin hole leak in an end feed elbow, with 4 Ts, and 2 elbows, right next to it).

I cut the pipe back and decided to replace it all with compression fittings as I knew there would be water still in the pipes, and the stop cock wasn't completely shutting off.

Used new 22mm copper pipe. Tightened the nuts up until I could hear the brass olives sqeaking (not too tight), then turned the water back on.

All but 1 of the joints had a weep! So I started with just tightening the nuts. This didn't help. So I turned off the water, uncoupled all the joints and smeared jet blue on all the olives. Turned on the water again and theyre all still weeping.

How could it go so wrong? New pipe, new fittings, not overtightened, and with jointing compound, still 6 joints leaking! Is it my technique or could it be the brass olives were dud?

What's my best way of sealing these joints, now that the olives are firmly attached to the pipe?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Just lash em up with loads of ptfe tape and you won't have a problem. ;)
The plumbers had unanimous agreement on this issue recently. :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I think you should ask the highly qualified no leaks ever advice from silverback18 :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back