Compression fitting on shower inlet

Sponsored Links
PTFE tape is hopeless, the seal is made by the (hopefully, copper ) olive being compressed into the plastic using leverage applied by tightening the nut.

The internal chamfer on the fitting and the external chamfer on the olive should match and push/compress the olive into a 'bite' on the plastic.

This will provide a water-tight seal.

DH

Edit, sorry Herts if I effectively duplicated your post. Having reread my post, I should say the metal to metal contact provides the seal, the biting into the plastic prevents water pressure pushing the fitting off the plastic. all clear now?

Thanks folks

I won't use any plumbers tape.

I know the instructions state not to use compounds but I thought plumbers tape was generic for water pipe joints.

Is plumbers tape classed as a compound?

Sponsored Links
What are the suitable applications for plumbers tape just out of curiosity?

In theory, threaded joints only. Twelve or fourteen turns, never ever thirteen...... :rolleyes: and, never try to loosen a threaded joint even a sixteenth f a turn, it will pour out😳

Has been known to be used on wc flush-pipe to cistern joints in extremis.

DH

The shower is installed and working nicely without any leaks.

Many thanks for the informative advice about plumbers tape folks. The compression joint I bought was a snug fit.

Has been known to be used on wc flush-pipe to cistern joints in extremis.

Yes, that's got me out of trouble more times than I can remember. Best if you roll the length of tape on your leg. Bit like a Cuban bird, rolling a fat Havana on her dusky thigh.

Except, you're doing it on your Boss White stained work trousers. And yes, those stains are really Boss White!!! :eek: :LOL:

What are the suitable applications for plumbers tape just out of curiosity?

Also for wrapping around a nasty gash (cut not c*nt) if no plasters to hand as it does not stick to the wound, followed by electrical tape :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back