Compression fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to undertake work on my central heating system, replacing pump and three way motorised valve.
I intend to replace these using COMPRESSION FITTINGS! Is it possible that someone can please advice me the best way to obtain a secure/watertight 100% seal using these?
I want to know how to do this: AND/IF it is a good idea; to use PTFE tape, and/or jointing compound and/or pipe sealant ETC........
Sincere thanks, in advance :)

Sponsored Links
Most important is to use decent fittings. Conex are very good. Wickes sell them at surprisingly reasonable prices. They're the ones with 6 little bars instead of 6 flat faces like a nut has.

I haven't found any problem with nut type COMPRESSION FITTINGS, but if the joints are under floors I use some jointing compound on the olives of the COMPRESSION FITTINGS. I don't see the benefit of using PTFE tape on COMPRESSION FITTINGS.

COMPRESSION FITTINGS are really quite reliable and easy, just don't employ gorilla tactics to do up COMPRESSION FITTINGS. Though push fit joints are even easier to use than COMPRESSION FITTINGS.

(Morning Kev :D )

Sponsored Links
Dont use ptfe on compression fittings, it's sooooooooooooo amatuerish, just use a smear of jointing paste on the olive/ring/cone whatever you want to call it, Conex is the best, I like to tighten what we in the trade call "tight tight", work it out for yourself.

What is "tight tight"?

Can someone please explain how much to tighten the comprression fittings?

I was told, hand tighten; then ONE full rotation with the spanners!

Does this seem about correct?

I DO NOT want to overtighten, as I understand this is a particular problem with amateurs like myself :oops:

when the fitting screams,that is tight enough if using decent compression just apply a smear of jointing compound to the olive and end to be inserted into the fitting hand tighten then use a suitable spanner to a1/4 1/2 turn and thats it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back