Compression Fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When making compression fittings on the central heating system, OK to use PTFE tape on the joints or should it be a jointing compound, Plumbers mate Ok :?:

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't need anything, but I use jointing compound.

When fitting new compression fittings to clean pipes there should be no need for sealants. i never use jointing compound, and do use PTFE when I have a leaking one.

but oilman above probably is much more expirienced than myself.

Sponsored Links
ScottishGasMan said:
but oilman above probably is much more expirienced than myself.

I doubt it. Just hope there's a bit of snow your way when I come up next month. :)

I suppose it's not so much for sealing, but to lubricate the bits as you screw them up, and avoid the horrid graunchy noises.

Nige F said:
Plumbers M8 not OK :eek:

No it isn't, Buy a potable water jointing compound and put it on the olive, a little bit on the thread makes them easier to tighten.

Why people don't bother I can never understand, it gives pease of mind and guarantees the joint.

Thankyou all for the advice, I've used PTFE tape for this job, as it was all I had, but will get some jointing compound for future jobs. :)

Everyone's different i suppose, i do use jointing on old fittings joing new, like a 3 port. I use PTFE on rad tails, paste on union. Always paste on gas. Never had a problem, unless the pipe/olive is faulty or kinked.

having read several questions and replies on this site i am starting to wonder if this is a slagging site for plumbers and their practices never mind.and no you should never use any of the above mentioned sealents on a compression fitting more so on new pipe. :LOL:

donametchi said:
having read several questions and replies on this site i am starting to wonder if this is a slagging site for plumbers and their practices never mind.and no you should never use any of the above mentioned sealents on a compression fitting more so on new pipe. :LOL:

Hey, what you do is your business, I will say if you worked for me you would pay for the leaks out of you're wages. :LOL:

I dont use sealants on new fittings and the only lubricant I use is silicone on the threads sometimes. But then I dont get any leaks either!

If joint is old and leaking then a little PTFE on the inner surface of olive.

Silicone on fibre washers, always.

Those who use paste on gas joints with fibre washers are responsible for the blockages in pipework that I sometimes have to find and sort out.

Tony

Agile said:
I dont use sealants on new fittings and the only lubricant I use is silicone on the threads sometimes. But then I dont get any leaks either!

If joint is old and leaking then a little PTFE on the inner surface of olive.

Silicone on fibre washers, always.

Those who use paste on gas joints with fibre washers are responsible for the blockages in pipework that I sometimes have to find and sort out.

Tony

Interesting to note Tony, since when has silicon been approved for Gas :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back