Compression isolating valves and plastic pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it preferable to use push fit isolating/service valves when using plastic or can normal brass fittings be used? Or is it better to switch to copper at the WC/basin/shower?

I have a little access hole where I'm planning on putting 4 valves for two showers on the off chance one of them needs to be isolated so I still have a working shower (fed by the same 22mm supply) but I can't seem to find any blurb on using normal compression fittings with something like speedfit.

My gut tells me no or with caution...but copper on to pushfit seems to be acceptable

Sponsored Links
You can use either push fit or compression isolators. Ensure pipe stiffeners are inserted into plastic pipes ,and full bore isolating valves will give better flow .

You can use either push fit or compression isolators. Ensure pipe stiffeners are inserted into plastic pipes ,and full bore isolating valves will give better flow .

Ah good, I picked up a few full bore valves just incase as well the the *standard* inserts for the pipe (not the ones with the extra O ring that I use for normal connections)

Sponsored Links
Make sure you use the pipe inserts, you will find that copper olivies work better as they are softer than the brass ones.
Also don’t be tempted to use any type of jointing paste, if needed you can add a few wraps of PTFE tape.
Don’t over tighten.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back