Compression Stop Ends and Hacksaw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am blocking a few pipes off but due to lack of space and the pipes being so close together I can not get a pipe cutter to go all the way around them, can I just cut the pipes using a hacksaw and then put the compression stop ends on?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Providing the olive entirely clears the end then yes. In fact, you can use endfeed or yorkshire and solder endcaps on - it's highly unlikely that these will fail unless you cut the end by 45 degrees or so!

They should work OK. You may need to clean the ends up a bit with a file to get the olives on.

Cheers! just what i wanted to hear, so as long as the ring fits over and it and the cut isn't an extreme angle all should be ok?

Also I have never used a compression fitting before, is it just a case of putting the bits on and tightening or should I do anything else?

Sponsored Links
Yep, clean up the end of the pipe with a bit of wire wool or the green scourer equivalent, then hand-tight, then half to 3/4 turn more with a spanner. Don't overtighten it. Some advocate undoing the joint and smearing a bit of hawkwhite jointing compound over the olive. Personally, I rarely bother.

Remember not to overtighten the nut or you'll kink the pipe.

Cheers! All on and no leaks so far although not sure how long it would take water to work its way down, last thing I want is water leaking all over my AV equipment! Luckily it isnt going in for a few weeks so hopefully any leaks will show themselves before then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back