compression thread size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Here`s a bit of a strange question but hopefully some kind soul can help me out.
I`m trying to figure out what thread is used on 15mm isolator valves, i presume its a standard thread used on all 15mm compression fittings?

My initial guess is 1/2" 14TPI BSP but would welcome a confirmation/correction from someone in the know ;)

Many Thanks
Colin

Sponsored Links
compresion fittings do not have a thread! if it is a tap connector, etc then one end will be threaded, eg to be connected to the float valve, tap tail thread, etc. Then yep this end is 1/2" and the other end (compresion fitting to pipe) is 15mm, but you can get 3/4" to 22mm (for bath taps). Other sizes are available, eg to connect a 1/2" float valve to 10mm supply pipe, but 1/2" to 15mm is the most common.

Thanks for the reply.

I`m trying to figure out what thread type is used on the body of a 15mm isolating valve (compression type), or to put it another way, the thread type used on a standard 15mm compression fitting nut.

Sponsored Links
1/2" BSPT.
1/2" BSP, yes, but parallel rather than tapered. The seal is on the olive, the nut is just a mechanical restraint.

There is no compulsion for fitting manufacturers to use BSP threads for compression fittings, but the majority do.

Some used to use the much finer 26 TPI British Standard Brass threads.

I think some now use the metric equivalent 1mm pitch on their compression fittings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back