Computer becoming very very slow and resentful

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Apologies for the vagueness on the technical aspects of this message, but I'm not very good with computers.

I have a Packard bell PC, 2 yrs old, which has become (over the last 6 months) really slow in both internet (I've got broadband connection) and other applications. From starting it chunters to itself for around 15-20 mins and is slower while doing this, the fan also comes on. In the other applications it will sometimes flash up a message about not enough virtual memory. I've got 123GB of hard drive space free (total space 144GB). It randomly closes down applications/internet and when I want to close something it brings up the 'not responding' message in a sullen and resentful way.

i've emptied the temp files which made a small difference for a short while, there is security/virus stuff which comes through blueyonder and which I run frequently and ususally comes up with nothing.

It's on a router but there's only one PC attached at the moment.

What should i do?

Sponsored Links
There are many things that can slow a PC down.

You say that you have cleared the temp. Internet files. Do you run Disk Cleanup? It's a good idea to clear down other temp storage areas on a regular basis.

Have you performed a disk defragmentation?

What anti-virus and anti spyware applications do you use?

How much memory does your system have and what applications run when you start the machine?

Sponsored Links
Back