United Kingdom
Hi all,
microsoft xp home edition version 2002

packard bell celeron ( r ) cpu 2.60 ghz
2.59 ghz 192 mb of ram

broadband starter £ 15 per month
up to 2 meg speed and 2 gb usage allowance

right i aint got a clue what all those figures mean :D
all i know it takes 4 minutes from the time i press the on button to connect with the net and then it takes a further 3 mins to get a page up so thats 7 mins in total :!: so my family are very impatient people so they wanna know why it takes so long :?:

I have done as much as i know.. deleted temp internet files
ive done a defrag and these are the figures
vol size.. 33.25 gb
used space.. 25.15 gb
free space.. 8.10 gb
% free space .. 24 %

they also complain that it sometimes runs slow when connected
I have about 700 songs on itunes and 200 photos. would they slow the pc down :?: Thanks in advance P M

Sponsored Links
you've not enough ram you really need 512mb of ram for win xp
a way to check is hold down ctrl + alt then hit the delete key once
this will open windows task manager click on performance tab
then look at the pf Usage bar chart it shows how much memory you are using.

hi all ive been trying to repair windows on a friends pc we booted off xp disk then selected r for repair. in the next screen it said select number for the op system which we wanted to repair so pressed 1 but then what key do i press nothing happens . and it says the enter key is to cancel repair?. i am trying to repair windows as it wont boot and says system 32 file is missing or currupted.files not backed up either. any help with which key to press to progress repair would be great.

suffolklad said:
hi all ive been trying to repair windows on a friends pc we booted off xp disk then selected r for repair. in the next screen it said select number for the op system which we wanted to repair so pressed 1 but then what key do i press nothing happens . and it says the enter key is to cancel repair?. i am trying to repair windows as it wont boot and says system 32 file is missing or currupted.files not backed up either. any help with which key to press to progress repair would be great.

It would have been best to start your own thread, however, you press 1 and then <Enter> to get to the console.

I would do a full chkdsk from the console first (chkdsk /r)

Which file does it say is missing?

Sponsored Links
poshman said:
Hi all,

2.59 ghz 192 mb of ram

all i know it takes 4 minutes from the time i press the on button to connect with the net and then it takes a further 3 mins to get a page up so thats 7 mins in total :!: so my family are very impatient people so they wanna know why it takes so long :?:

vol size.. 33.25 gb
used space.. 25.15 gb
free space.. 8.10 gb
% free space .. 24 %

I have about 700 songs on itunes and 200 photos. would they slow the pc down :?: Thanks in advance P M

Are all your service packs in place?

Have you tried a disk cleanup & defrag?

Do you have antivirus and spyware protection?

As previously mentioned, 256MB RAM is not really enough for XP, you need a minimum of 512MB, especially with a shared graphic card.

marshman said:

its showing 357 MB

Igorian said:
poshman said:
Hi all,

2.59 ghz 192 mb of ram

vol size.. 33.25 gb
used space.. 25.15 gb
free space.. 8.10 gb
% free space .. 24 %

As previously mentioned, 256MB RAM is not really enough for XP, you need a minimum of 512MB, especially with a shared graphic card.

Hi ive tried register cleaner ive got 427 toal infected entries but ive got to buy to delete them also tried winASO total errors 595 ditto pay
like a fool i havent had any firewall for ages until recently i have avast anti virus dont know what you mean re.. service packs :oops:

poshman said:
marshman said:

its showing 357 MB

But you originally said

poshman said:
2.59 ghz 192 mb of ram

poshman said:
Igorian said:
poshman said:
Hi all,

2.59 ghz 192 mb of ram

vol size.. 33.25 gb
used space.. 25.15 gb
free space.. 8.10 gb
% free space .. 24 %

Hi ive tried register cleaner ive got 427 toal infected entries but ive got to buy to delete them also tried winASO total errors 595 ditto pay
like a fool i havent had any firewall for ages until recently i have avast anti virus dont know what you mean re.. service packs :oops:

Try downloading and running Spybot. It's free.

By service packs, I mean Windows Updates.

poshman in your first post you said you had 192mb of ram you can check this by
right click my computer then left click properties it will tell you at the bottom of the page.
if 192 is all your've got then you will need more.
the 357mb I take is what is showing on the bar chart, this is the amount your pc is using
and need to run via using page files to make up the difference.
can you tell me how many programs you have in your startup folder in your programs list
if you have several then stopping these will help you.
do get spybot and run that.

cheers M M ive been on crucial site and they recommend more memory so im gonna buy 512 mb making a total of 768 mb so that should be ok ( i think ) :LOL:

ive been on the so called " free " scan spybot and they are telling me ive got loads of parasites and it will cost £s to repair so i think thats a wind up :evil: anyway ive got 2 parasites living at home keeping me skint :LOL:

poshman said:
cheers M M ive been on crucial site and they recommend more memory so im gonna buy 512 mb making a total of 768 mb so that should be ok ( i think ) :LOL:

ive been on the so called " free " scan spybot and they are telling me ive got loads of parasites and it will cost £s to repair so i think thats a wind up :evil: anyway ive got 2 parasites living at home keeping me skint :LOL:

Spybot is free, try clicking the link I provided and download it.

as Igorian said click the link when the page opens at the bottom is spybot-download net
click download here next page in the middle at the top click download here (4,8 mb)
save it to disk, make a folder somewhere and save it to that, when its done downloading
open the folder and double click the .exe then follow the instructions, it is free. you said
((anyway ive got 2 parasites living at home keeping me skint )) LOL :LOL: :LOL:
yeah my 1 has gone to uni. and its still costing a packet.

Sponsored Links
Back