Trouble loading Ubuntu 10.10

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hang on mods, before you move this to software, bear with me.

I've been having trouble attempting to load Ubuntu.

Yes, yes, I know you've all nagged at me before to get rid of my archaic hardware ;) , but I'm enjoying tinkering with it and hope to learn some stuff along the way.

I still have this old AMD XP2000+ PC with 80GB HDD and 256 RAM. It used to have Win ME then I DBAN'd it and installed Win XP SP2.

I have DBAN'd the HDD again, then attempted loading Ubuntu 10.10 from an official disk I was posted. I know it works, as I've loaded it onto another PC.

I get so far into the install process, then the system hangs. I've retried it many times and it can hang in several different places, so it's not consistent.

The software demands a min of 4GB free (no worries there) and 256 RAM. The actual DIMM is 262, so that's OK.

So, I'm beginning to think there's a hardware issue. I did swap the HDD for another I know works, so that hopefully eliminates the HDD. So, could the old AMD chip or the limited memory be holding it back?

AFAICT, the chip should be compatible, so that (to my logic anyhow) leaves the RAM.

Do you think increasing the RAM will help? Is it hanging or is it just incredibly slow?

If you think the RAM is an issue, could you help me identify the modules I need please?

I'm fairly au fait with PC stuff, but I find the huge array of memory modules available totally bewildering.

The machine has an MSI KT4V MS6712 MB, Version 10A (1996).

The current module says simply: DDR400 (2.5) 256.

The 2.5 I guess is the supply voltage. Many modules I've looked up are 2.6V. Is this crucial (excuse the terrible pun!)?

The other thing is, looking up that MB on MSI's site ( http://www.msi.com/product/mb/KT4V---KT4V-L--v1-0-.html#?div=Detail ), they say that DDR 400 is only compatible with a certain CPU FSB speed and then only certain modules are guaranteed to perform correctly.

Could my PC have originally been fitted with the wrong memory module?

If so, this would explain why it has never performed smoothly.

Can you help me please?

Sponsored Links
DBAN'd it = ?

First thing I would do is test the integrity of the installation CD, to do this try and copy the entire contents of the CD to another PC

Even better using the same CD drive you are using for the installation

Not worth commenting further until you confirm CD is not the issue

DBAN= Darik's Boot And Nuke.

I have tested the installation CD by installing the Ubuntu OS in another PC.

The drive I have tested by instlling Win XP elsewhere.

Never heard of it, I have installed XP and LINUX many times by just using the installation CD, one thing I do recomend prior to any installation is removing all partitions and re-apply them, this ensures a full format before the files are copied over, this can be done during the actual setup process

Can you give that a whirl?

Sponsored Links
Removing partitions and recreating them in no way ensures a 'full format', by which I'm assuming you mean a simple zeroing pass before the filesystem metadata is written. Few filesystems require such a thing, one example is reiserfs. It was written by a murderer, so a little oddness is to be expected..

I suggest you look into what DBAN does.

securespark: There are any number of ways Ubuntu could puke on install, it's quite easy to cause it without even trying. It could be memory, any old stick of DDR-400 should work just fine.

Removing partitions and recreating them in no way ensures a 'full format', by which I'm assuming you mean a simple zeroing pass before the filesystem metadata is written. Few filesystems require such a thing, one example is reiserfs. It was written by a murderer, so a little oddness is to be expected..

securespark: There are any number of ways Ubuntu could puke on install, it's quite easy to cause it without even trying. It could be memory, any old stick of DDR-400 should work just fine.

So it just deletes the contents of the drive and removes any possibility of running an "UN-DELETE" utility, why is that more necessary than letting the installation do the formatting, seems a bit over-kill to me

So it just deletes the contents of the drive and removes any possibility of running an "UN-DELETE" utility, why is that more necessary than letting the installation do the formatting, seems a bit over-kill to me

I see you've never had to handle data securely before. In this situation it has no use, though. Then again, neither does a 'full format'.

I have used several disk wiping utilities in certain workplaces prior to a PC being disposed off

So now you agree with my point, "in this situation it has no use" hence overkill

Removing and re-applying the partitons does force a format which removes all files and folders, if you install XP without doing this it still leaves all the current directories on the drive which is defeating the object of a fresh install hence the format

Removing and re-applying the partitons does force a format which removes all files and folders, if you install XP without doing this it still leaves all the current directories on the drive which is defeating the object of a fresh install hence the format

No it doesn't. If you remove all the partitions then apply the exact same ones, you'll see your filesystems there as before. If you change the partition layout when you do this, it will not detect the filesystem and, by default, perform a 'quick format', which simple creates new filesystem metadata. Any existing data not overwritten by that process is left intact, but inaccessible without the appropriate tools. A 'full format' simply writes zeros over the entire area before performing the same process, which would remove the existing data (without very special tools).

You can also perform the 'quick format' (note: None of these processes is a true format) without creating new partitions, with the same result: None of the existing data will be accessible without tools.

MM: Because I want to rid the HDD of Windows all together & just haved Ubuntu.

Monkeh, I'll try some more RAM.

Thanks everyone so far.

:oops:

You know that feeling when something doesn't work and then you have a brainwave and try another tack only for you to fall flat on your face?

I took your advice Monkeh, and bought some RAM:

2x 512MB DDR-400 CL3 PC3200 ( http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/512-mb-512mb-...erComponents_MemoryRAM_JN&hash=item2eb5b594f3 ).

It did not work, the PC fired up with the warning beeps.

The existing RAM is: 1x 256MB DDR-400 (2.5). I thought the 2.5 referred to the latency. It's made by A DATA. On the sticker on the card it says:

MD0AD5F3G31 JB1EC2

DDR400 (2.5) 256M*8

then a S/N.

So, I checked the BIOS, (AMIBIOS) and altered the CL setting to 3.

When I fired it up, the warning beeps started again. Trouble is, I can't seem to get into the BIOS now to alter it back.... :cry:

Now I'm sure the 2.5 figure relates to voltage, not latency. Oh, what a mess I'm in!!

Can some kind nice helpful person get me out of my pit of doo-doo, pretty please? ;)

And if the BIOS cannot be altered to suit, I guess I need some new RAM??

Cheers.

(I know you're all probably reading this going, :rolleyes: , as I would if an electrical novice was burgering things up, but any help would be appreciated).

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Locate the cmos battery and remove (I think the MSI KT4V has a removable CR2302 battery). Then pull all power to the base unit (ie the kettle lead to the psu).

Locate the cmos reset jumper
http://www.fixya.com/brands/manuals...A/images/F06C4827D99FDEBFD0444D3752CFBD21.png

and set it to the opposite pins, plug the power lead back in and power on.

It'll either power on and reset its bios settings to default or not just power on at all, either way pull power and change the cmos rset jumper back again and reapply power. This should then work.

The reason I would pull power before doing the jumper reset is because some motherboard maintain a capicitance load even with the psu switch off (dont ask me why, my A78NX did this). This ensures that the cmos isnt getting power from anything.

You don't need to remove the battery or disconnect the power to reset the CMOS. Just move the jumper for a couple of seconds.

It should be set to use SPD timings by default. Do not change this.

I like to be thorough , my A7N8X was a strange beast ;)

At least you're certain theres no power to the CMOS (short of taking a hammer to it)

You'll be pleased to know Monkeh, that I questioned my renegade action of removing the power lead and thus the simple act of erthing by touching the chassis of the base unit by walking all the way to my understairs cupboard and getting the earth strap out.

And you call me cowboy ;)

Sponsored Links
Back