Trouble loading Ubuntu 10.10

I like to be thorough , my A7N8X was a strange beast ;)

Well, that's what you get for buying Asus. ;)

At least you're certain theres no power to the CMOS (short of taking a hammer to it)

Doesn't matter if there is or not, though. Although, depending on the exact hardware, just removing the battery often clears the CMOS.

You'll be pleased to know Monkeh, that I questioned my renegade action of removing the power lead and thus the simple act of erthing by touching the chassis of the base unit by walking all the way to my understairs cupboard and getting the earth strap out.

And you call me cowboy ;)

Inefficient. Unacceptable! ;)

Sponsored Links
Sorry Sir, It won't happen again Sir, A bigger boy made me do it Sir.

Whilst we are hijacking this.

The irony when Windows ME has been mentioned in the OP ;)

Even DBAN isnt enough to remove that scourge!

After an ME install, only thermite would be sufficient to remove all traces of that godforsaken OS!

Im not totally Apple, Ok I have mac book air (feel that SSD goodness), 2 iphones and an iPad2 but they are just so gorgeously designed that my head gives way to my heart.

And don't forget, Mac OSx is essentially unix underneath and so is ios (debian'esque).

Sponsored Links
And don't forget, Mac OSx is essentially unix underneath and so is ios (debian'esque).

A horrible, butchered thing with pieces of FreeBSD all over the place and a load of closed source crap piled on top. ;)

And so is Solaris, HP-UX, AIX. I'm not too sure I'd knock any of those (well maybe Solaris) ;)

I'm still winning this based on the Windows-ME devil-spawn.

Well thats what I'd like to think. :(

edit:sco unix as well *shudder*

yeah you should remove the power cable when going inside the case, just in case.

In case of what?

The PSU case is earthed. No voltage higher than 12VDC is normally present outside the PSU, and even then only when switched on. Leaving the power cable connected (but switched off either at the back of the PSU or the socket) can only be a good thing.

I hate to agree with monkeh but he's right. I only stated to remove power as I've had some strange issues with cappacitance loads on a motherboard with a psu plugged in.

the earthing benefits of it being plugged in is normally reason enough.

The op needed to reset the CMOS and this is the only time I'd do a complete power kill.

For every other task I always leave the lead plugged in ( ensuring that I have earth continuity on the mains lead of course)

its always safer to remove the chance of power to the machine. When i worked with an electrician, we tested everything before working on it even if we were sure it didn't have power going to it, just in case, because you can never be sure until you have tested it. Now on a smaller scale, lets say you forget to switch off the power at the back of the computer, now that wouldn't matter if you had removed the power lead now would it?

So do you remove the power cable from a metal cased amp before adjusting the volume?

Do you remove the power cable from the PC before touching the cha- oh, wait, you need to touch it to remove the cable.

its always safer to remove the chance of power to the machine. When i worked with an electrician, we tested everything before working on it even if we were sure it didn't have power going to it, just in case, because you can never be sure until you have tested it. Now on a smaller scale, lets say you forget to switch off the power at the back of the computer, now that wouldn't matter if you had removed the power lead now would it?

Upscale it, remove power to your tumble dryer. Now remove cases and touch the capacitor. There's a number of places to achieve this.

I don't recommend you do this btw as I worked out the hard way what capacitors do in a "no power" scenario

415v at 8uf is enough of a poke thanks

That's the motor run/start capacitor btw.

My multimeter read 0v at +/-v input. Shame i didn't read it at the capacitor.

As monkeh says the r.a. On atx would be , end result, it's perfectly safe to work on the inside and the safe side of 12vdc transformer

Your electrician is working with 230/415v ac in which case you test for dead else end dead.

Sponsored Links
Back