Trouble loading Ubuntu 10.10

I notice that you were trying Ubuntu11.10 back in June. This would be the beta testing version. The official version is now out, but be warned, lots of users are reporting problems with it. I'm currently running 11.04 Natty Narwhal, with very few problems.
Does your computer have usb slots? If so, you could try downloading the 11.10 ISO to a usb stick. Set the bios to boot from USB as first device and see if it will run from that. If it works, then you could either make the USB , persistent and always boot from that. Or do a fresh install from the USB.
Plenty of help available here....
www.ubuntuforums.org

;) ;)

EDIT, I've just noticed that you were trying to install 10.10. Sorry for any confusion.

I think the 10.10 version comes with (LTS) Long Term Support , so should still be supported.

Sponsored Links
DJ.

I have had a look at all the hardware. Looks OK. I have tried removing the extra memcard, and now the system is attempting to load Ubuntu from the disc. It's being extremely temperamental, though.

Mind you, from what Monkeh said earlier, it does this as a matter of course.

JJ.

Yeah, I installed 10.10 on my eldest's PC and it's fine. Now upgraded to NN, but won't go any further yet.

Thanks guys.

Have you checked the ram for errors? When the system starts to boot off the ubuntu cd start pressing the shift key. Hopefully you should get a list of options, select test memory. I usually end it after I get 3 passes and no fails.

Sponsored Links
Just had a look and further to my earlier response, it was version 10.04 which has the LTS. The next version 12.04 (due out in April next year) is the next LTS version. ;) ;)

Thanks everyone for their support.

I have it up and running now, upgraded to NN from MM.

Basically, when I reset the MB, it defaulted to the wrong settings, which caused probs with the video card and the installation to hang.

A word of warning to folk looking up this thread in the future, I never realised how much of an effect a badly or incorrectly set up hardware system could have on software.

You live and learn, I suppose!

Ahh video card problems with Ubuntu,,, Well I never. ;) ;)
When it first loads it will load generic drivers for whatever video card you have. You usually have to install proprietary drivers from the Ubuntu repository after installation. (usually for Nvidea or ATI graphics cards) (the usual suspects)
Some people with Laptops suddenly find their graphics cards are running hot with the generic drivers, to the extent their machines shut down after a while (real problem with lappy's anyway) But a few find problems with desktops etc. ;) ;) ;)

As already stated I'm using Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal.
When 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot , came out I thought I'd give it a few months for the bugs to be sorted out. Glad I did, as there seems to be numerous problems with it (probably something to do with Unity.
I have tried 11.10 off a usb stick, and it did seem to run quite well on my computer , but have tried other versions off usb sticks too which seem to run alright off the usb stick , until you actually install them, then find out certain things don't work quite as intended.
I'm considering installing Ubunutu Studio (on a separate partition) as I do quite a bit of midi sequencing and recording and would like to experiment with the audio capabilities of this OS. ;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Back