Computer build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fancy building your own PC ?
Quoting the builder himself '...For the real Novice viewer, there is no better video available.'
I am no expert, but actually believe that statement.
Have perused a fair few vid's on PC building - they tend to surmise too much viewer knowledge and /or skate over or miss entirely that little point one is unsure of.
This vid' from about 2 mins in, is pretty well put together covers most everything -
Did he mention which fan sockets support fan speed control ? Or is common knowledge that at least the CPU_FAN port or socket (or maybe fanS) maybe so ?
The following may provide most of the answer :-
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-pin-vs-3-pin-vs-4-pin.2200004/#post-14732311
-0-

Sponsored Links
when I wanted a new computer, I couldnt find the spec I wanted so I bought the bits and built one

I was very worried it woudlnt work when I switched on, but it was all fine!

I built an i7 computer with a SSD samsung drive.

The ASUS motherboard manual was very clear and helpful for assembly.
All of the leads are pretty much marked so its hard to go very wrong.

At the time I installed a copy of windows 7 pro and got the free upgrade to 10.

I would say it was much cheaper though -from memory about £650

In the early PC days, I always built my own and those for a few friends - there were just not many ready builts to choose from, so self build was sensible. I have three desktops around the place, none updated for years, my last was a ready built which I have repaired a few times over the years. I mostly now use laptops as my go to's, now that speeds/capabilities are sensible.

Sponsored Links
Have built lots, but its rarely cost effective.
Thats true -I spent ages costing up the parts, its hard to compete.

Although building yourself, allows the opportunity to build with all quality parts -from the leading manufacturers, whereas ready built pcs are almost always built with compromise parts somewhere in the system

I am about to source, purchase and build my own - Iwould not spend on a pre built one as they cost far more than the parts and I can easily build one, always have.

These days the trouble usually seems to be finding where the heck I put my install disc (attempts at a large enough USB drive have failed lol)

The only place where hand built tends to be cheaper than mass built ones are for gaming. They normally have overpowered CPU and RAM combos with relatively low end GPUs.

For gaming you should spend, as a rule of thumb, as much on the motherboard and CPU as you do on the graphics card.

Back