Computer keyboard hazards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Not sure if this is classed as an 'appliance' but is a normal USB keyboard which has its internals exposed or in contact with paper (little circuit board with three LEDs on it, cable connected to this circuit board and plastic circuit membrane which goes under the keys) unsafe in any way, either for humans or any other equipment to which the keyboard is connected to?

I have read that other connected equipment could be damaged if there was a short circuit. Would this only occur if two cables or their terminals were touched at the same time with a metal item or hands?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Any electrical equipment removed from its outer casing is could be a serious risk; even a 5v USB keyboard.

It you short circuit any part of such devices then you never know what may happen, or may not be around to find out !

Any reason you want to use a keyboard like this ?
Most maufacturers and users try to protect their keyboards from spilt drinks etc rather than expose things more ...

Any electrical equipment removed from its outer casing is could be a serious risk; even a 5v USB keyboard.

It you short circuit any part of such devices then you never know what may happen, or may not be around to find out !

It's an isolated, 5V, current limited circuit with relatively high source impedance. It's pretty bloody safe. About the most you can realistically do is take out a couple USB ports.

And if you really think you 'never know what may happen', you need to question how we make such devices in the first place. We seem to have a pretty good grasp on what happens when we move electrons around. Or at least some of us do.

It's an isolated, 5V, current limited circuit with relatively high source impedance. It's pretty bloody safe. About the most you can realistically do is take out a couple USB ports.

And if you really think you 'never know what may happen', you need to question how we make such devices in the first place. We seem to have a pretty good grasp on what happens when we move electrons around. Or at least some of us do.

Don't disargee with what you are saying; however think you are judging the OP too literally.

If someone its operating a keyboard in that manner, without its cover, my question is what else have they done, bypassed fuses, wiring mods etc etc ?
Unlikely you say, well not from my experience, you would be surprise what folk will do, even more surprised if you had seen some of the things so called 'electricians' do to try and make folks machines work.

Sponsored Links
A computer keyboard only becomes unsafe when people such as John D (a contributor on here) are in possession of one. More so when he's replying to posts in GD. :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Thanks for the replies.

ricky 101, this link explains the what's and why's perfectly.

Monkeh, so to avoid the possibility of taking out any USB ports or cause any other damage, what additional steps could I take to make the final product in the above link perfectly safe? Just stick insulation tape over everything?

Thanks.

Why would you do that.. arurgh.

Can I interest you in just buying a keyboard without a numpad, if it's so 'useless'?

Folding the printed circuit laminate ( the sheet of plastic ) back on itsself has a high risk of snapping tracks and that will disable keys on the key board. There are no hazardous voltage on that laminate.

You may find you get "phantom" numeric key entries if somethng under the modified keyboard simulates a button pressed onto one of the sensing areas on the folded back laminate.

Seems a very radical thing to do.

Haha Monkeh, I've already tried that but they don't last too long, IF you manage to find one with the same number of keys, size of keys and position of keys as a normal sized keyboard. On the other hand, a normal keyboard seems to last forever no matter how cheap! Don't know how long mine will last with all its guts hanging out though! Haha. Have you also seen the prices of left-handed keyboards??

Thanks bernardgreen. I've separated the two layers of laminate with paper and enclosed it in paper. So far, I have not had any of the missing keys pressed by mistake. Because of the position of the LED circuit board, I have had to fold in under the keyboard along with the laminate so that acts as a spacer between the desk and the laminate to help avoid 'phantom' keystrokes.

I've already done it and it works perfectly, I just wanted to know of the hazards.

I thought the people that posted on these 'DIY' forums would be used to this silliness! Haha.

Thanks.

No particular hazards, just insulate it and you'll be fine..

Compact keyboards with a more normal layout are quite pricy, I agree.

Thank Monkeh.

I forgot to add, I don't agree with the comment in the link I provided about the numeric pad being useless. I love the numeric pad because it allows numbers to be typed quickly. I only remove it to help with RSI and not that I don't want it.

Thanks for all the replies and advice everyone.

Sponsored Links
Back