Computer spec for photoshop CS3

OLD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The large RAW files cs3 uses cause long delays when preforming some operations so its computer tower upgrade time can anyone help with a suitable spec .Budget max £600 tower unit and screen are to hand.

Sponsored Links
I assume you mean to keep the existing case?

Intel E8400 CPU, Asus P5Q Motherboard, 4 GB of Memory (OCZ,Corsair, Patriot, Crucial Ballistix) 750GB Samsung drive. You'll have plenty of change from £400. Graphics card depending on whether you game or not - from £40 upto £200+

IMO well worth taking a look on the Overclockers uk site:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=339&subid=791
Bundles £240 - £430 (Mobo, Memory and CPU)

Add on your other requirements Graphics, Sound (if not onboard), Optical Drive etc.

Worthwhile giving them a call before ordering to check your components all compatible. I have used this company several times and been very pleased with service and speed of delivery

EDIT: What is your current PC spec e.g. Mobo, Memory, Graphics etc. Suspect possible bottleneck could be due to the amount of system RAM you have installed if less than 512MB- also look at video RAM requirements
Basic Spec rec. by Adobe
# Intel® Pentium® 4, Intel Centrino®, Intel Xeon®, or Intel Core™ Duo (or compatible) processor
# Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 2 or Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise (certified for 32-bit editions)
# 512MB of RAM
# 64MB of video RAM
# 1GB of available hard-disk space (additional free space required during installation)
# 1,024x768 monitor resolution with 16-bit video card

Thanks for your help Deluks & TonyWarrington You have pointed me in the right direction. big processor lots of ram my existing kit has 1.5 gb ram and single intel P4 but just not quick with cs3 files.

Sponsored Links
Could well be that it is not so much the box that is underperforming as your video card. Also depends on what you are actually doing, how much alteration from the original, and what size your raw files are.
Cs3 can do a lot of things to a pic and if you use many of the options and many layers, it is either going to cost a lot of time or a lot of money.
If you want pro performance, you will have to fork out pro money; to be expected with a 600 quid program.
2 things that usually help, clean up your computer and set your priorities right.

Back