computer start-up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me how to stop my computer starting up each time the phone rings? I have Windows XP and dial-up internet.

Also my hard drive is really noisy when it starts up then eases off a bit but still sounds like a fan blowing.

Sponsored Links
i bet its fax software, it is sensing the ringing and starting up the pc

Sponsored Links
It is a setting in the BIOS to wake on call.

You need to look inyour motherboard manual - will give instructions there.

Err, aren't we talking wake on LAN here? if so how does this apply to a dial up connection?

Wake on LAN and Wake on Ring are almost identical.

The only difference is that LAN monitors the LAN ports and the ring one monitors the modem.

On most PC's the default is on so a fairly common problem

Conan1302 said:
Wake on LAN and Wake on Ring are almost identical.

The only difference is that LAN monitors the LAN ports and the ring one monitors the modem.

On most PC's the default is on so a fairly common problem

Well its really the NIC that monitors for a "magic" packet to be sent to it, wake on ring, dunno, would need more explanation of that. Not saying you're wrong, just not familiar with it.

the general idea is that the pc can be used as a fax, on recieving a call it will boot the pc in order to recieve the incoming fax.

On initial boot up, when prompted, press the delete key (usually - sometimes different) this will take you into the bios menu. It will probably be residing in the 'advanced' page of options. Just look for a 'wake on modem' (or similar) option.

Before making/saving any changes, just make a note of any alterations.

Sponsored Links
Back