concealed shower mixer solid wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thinking of having a concealed 3-way diverter mixer. The whole bathroom is being redone, retiled etc. Would it make life easier/quicker for the plumber or better from the aspect of future maintenance, if I boarded the wall out rather than have the pipes chased in and a recess for the mixer?

Gutfeel says "yes". Havent chosen the mixer yet, is there a typical depth?

Sponsored Links
Well, it certainly makes the plumbing installing the shower easier/quicker, obviously leave off some of the boards for the shower to be installed, adn there needs to be noggins or studs in the right place for mounting the valve outlets, rails etc.

Though obviously talk to the installers about it first.

Typical depth - 3 inches or so

If you go for a concealed mixer and tile over, it really isn't going to make much difference.

I recently installed a concealed mixer behind a studded out and tiled section of wall. The only reason for the studding was because the mixer was too deep to recess. Additionally the finished wall was tiled over and the mixer had a chrome plate to finish off. When removed the plate allows access to the mixer thermostat and filters. The body of the mixer is designed to stay put once installed, so check for leaks before tiling!

My advice is go for one designed for building in and recess into the wall if you can. - Having steps in the wall to accommodate casings and the like is never very attractive and will make the tiling a little more messy.

Sponsored Links
My advice is go for one designed for building in and recess into the wall if you can. - Having steps in the wall to accommodate casings and the like is never very attractive and will make the tiling a little more messy.

Yes, I agree with that, but people will often be in a position to board across a whole wall.

Though yes, not really a lot of point to go to the time and expense of boarding out just to make plumbing in the shower easier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back