Concealing a gas pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to strip out and refurbish my lounge and I am considering turning the whole thing around, blocking up the existing fireplace (with or without chimney stack removal - not sure yet) and placing a flueless fire on the opposite wall.

I know the 15mm gas feed to the existing fire passes under the floor pretty close to where the new fire would be, but I am unsure about the difficulties involved in concealing the run of pipe from the underfloor up through the wall to the appliance, and how this would be terminated.

Obviously I will be leaving the installation to a registered installer, but I would like to make an informed decision whether or not to abandon this option as more trouble than it is worth or if it's a runner.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Pretty big feed to a gas fire, it could probably be reduced to about 10mm, and have the wall chased out to accomodate, the pipe will need to be protected, denso tape would suffice, then just plastered over.

Flue-less fire will probably need a couple of four inch diameter holes in the outside wall to supply air for safe operation depending on manufacturer, so you had better ask your Mrs where she wants these holes before you shell out for a Flue-less fire.

Also these fires are not designed as a device that will completely heat a room.

Another thing, as your in Manchester and may have a house that lacks insulated walls, condensation could be a problem.

As a responsible installer I would suggest you get a CO alarm when you are in the fire place shop, if you buy one, better than that, keep the flue.

Tim

personally i would leave the whole thing in the shop either use a flued fire below 7KW or electric

over 7kw you need ventillation to outside idea of a gas fire is your heating the room not putting holes in wall to cool it down same goes for flueless

Sponsored Links
flueless gas fires are leathal death traps, and leave gas pipe work to proffessionals :evil:

Thanks for the advice.

Extra ventilation is no problem, already in place and does not particularly affect room temperature. Fire will always be supplementary to central heating and it is not always cold and damp in Manchester (even if it is at the wrong side of the Pennines) so don't think condensation will be a major issue. TBH it is more of a cosy design feature than a strict necessity and real flames do look better than LCD ones.

WDIK - Don't worry, I have no intention of playing around with the gas myself - I think I might have said that in my original post! I just wanted to know whether or not the idea was a non-starter. Does your mistrust of Flueless fires stem from experience or hearsay? Carbon Monoxide alarms are already fitted and, as far as I can see, lack of ventilation or failed catalysers are the only real danger.

I genuinely would welcome people's experiences with these fires.

Anyone who is happy to have a couple of large holes cut in their wall to the outside just so that they can have an appliance that is decorative, clearly is barking mad and has more money than sense.... While you are at it, why not cut a great big slot in your front door so that postman Pat can conveniently shove junkmail and bills through when the North wind isn't blowing through... Oh I suppose that you could also build a great big duct up through the middle of your property to effectively channel warm air from your home up and outside, The Middle Easterns used this method to effectively cool their homes before aircon was widely in use...... Then bleat about your energy bills and how you need an A rated boiler to cut your heating bills.... The British home owner is certifiable...

Gas fires have no place in the modern world?

Of course they do. They generate loads of CO2, warm the atmosphere up nicely, melt the ice caps and bring the seaside much closer to sunny Manchester. And the best thing is that we're already prepared - we already have our nice draughty vents in place and won't need to have aircon fitted by the miserable bugggers who used to fit gas fires! ;)

Does your mistrust of Flueless fires stem from experience or hearsay?
Well, dead customers don't complain, so technically it's hearsay.

I wouldn't fit a flueless gas fire these days. Did one before the incident where fitter got in trouble though it had a manufacturing defect. It's like the hospital scenario, Dr writes wrong drug amount and gets away with it but the nurse who gives the drug goes to jail. In both cases the person who bares the full weight of the law on their shoulders is the person who actually does the deed.

So following that case most of us boycot them.

They are darned dangerous and utterly stupid anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back