Concerning cracks above window after alterations (+photos)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I've just registered as we're seeking some advice about our home. Hope this is the right place...

My partner and I have very recently moved into a house built in 1976. The house has just been renovated and to some degree remodelled by the previous owner (did it up to sell) and we are concerned about some cracks that we have noticed above the kitchen window to the rear of the property. These may have been there when we looked around but we've only just noticed them since moving in.

Please see the annotated photo of the rear elevation of the property.

There used to be a wide opening where the new kitchen window is now, and an external lean-to conservatory has been removed (you can see the mastic on the wall where it used to be).

[1] and [2] Show a long crack running through mortar and brick from just above where the new brickwork meets the old up to the middle of the upstairs window
[3] Shows another crack running in the same general direction from the top-right of the window towards the wall-mounted light.
[4] Shows where a portion of the exterior wall has been filled with new brickwork (not keyed in, the continuous vertical mortar joint is hidden behind the left hand trellis),
[5] Shows the featherboarding covering up a timber frame which supports the window above.

I've included close up photos of the cracks (circled red in the photo)

Is there anything we should be worried about? What might have caused / be causing the cracks ? We're keeping an eye on them to see if they get worse but are concerned as there are other things with the house that seem a bit "bodge-it-and-scarper".

Any thoughts about this welcome.

Many thanks

Stephen

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back