Cracks in walls.... Should we be concerned??

21 Mar 2021
Reaction score
United Kingdom
We're looking at a property and have an offer placed on it. The house is a 1960s build, and we have seen evidence of cracks in both internal and on one external wall. Should we be worried?? Should we step away or is this a relatively easy fix??

The main ones are in one bedroom.... Above the window in a diagonal pattern, below the window and behind radiator (stepped crack in the mortar externally follows the line of the internal crack), and one that appears to be in the chimney breast but this is joined to the house next door.

The others are near the front door, under the living room bow window, and in the rear of the property where the extension joins the original house.


  • IMG_20210312_140723.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_20210312_140712.jpg
    496.3 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_20210312_140418.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_20210312_135824.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_20210312_135436.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_20210312_135432.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_20210312_135204.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_20210312_134403.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_20210311_100911.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_20210311_100903.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 238
Sponsored Links
My 2 p....Yes. Concerned enough for due diligence to be done. Get it properly assessed. You may find neighbours in nearby houses have similar failure modes playing out. Not a time for fingers crossed approach. Imo .
Thank you, it's really playing on my mind! We have asked a builder friend who didn't seem too concerned and said it wouldn't cost a fortune to put right (way below what I had thought it would cost!) but it's really bothering me. Would a surveyor potentially say it wasn't suitable to be mortgaged??
Sponsored Links
Cracks internal and external may indicate foundation movement or it may be a lintel problem, or or could be shrinkage of the walls.

What you need to know is whether the cracking is a sign of ongoing movement or if it's stopped. The cracks are just the symptom, so despite your builder friend's lack of concern and belief of ease to fix the cracks, in reality what you need to know is what's causing the cracking and to fix that - if it is foundation moment for instance, what it's causing that .... a drain, a tree the ground?

Consider a survey by a structural engineer to comment in the cracking. A building survey (building surveyor) won't comment on the cracks. But bear in mind that a structural engineer wont comment on other things such as damp, timber rot, material condition etc. So you may need two surveys.

Depending on the findings, you could potentially get a reduction in the asking price to reflect the cost of repairs. A lender may withhold funds or partial funds until works are complete.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local