External wall crack above window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, we are looking to buy a house and noticed a diagonal crack above the top floor window. Should we be concerned? Windows did not seem stiff, though we forgot to check the doors! Other things we noticed on the top floor: moving floorboards under carpet, wardrobe leaning forward in one room, and small crack in window pane corner. Any advice would be much appreciated.
1662287470671.png

Sponsored Links
I'm not an expert, but I can look out of the window of my Victorian terrace, and see 5 or 6 houses with cracks in exactly the same place.
I'm not saying its definitely not an issue, but around here it is very common at that weak point.
On your next viewing, have a look at other houses down the road, you may be reassured (...or not!) :)

Many thanks, will do that and also planning to get a survey done. Just worried because the previous house we wanted to buy turned out to have huge structural issues, which would have cost a fortune...

It’s pretty common in gable ends - personally I think it’s caused by wind loading on the block work.

it’s not a biggie, not a deal breaker.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps a survey would be better than uninsured forum posters?

Cracks in fresh render or fresh paint should be properly diagnosed.

There's an issue with the verge too. "What verge?" I hear you say. Exactly.

Thanks, Woody, of course, we will do a survey. Just trying to see if it's something obvious and it's best to stay away, as we have already spent on a survey for a property, which turned out to have major structural issues. And yes, what verge? Any advice would be much appreciated. There's so much to learn about houses!

Perhaps a survey would be better than uninsured forum posters?

Cracks in fresh render or fresh paint should be properly diagnosed.

There's an issue with the verge too. "What verge?" I hear you say. Exactly.
Verging on nothing

Thanks, Woody, of course, we will do a survey. Just trying to see if it's something obvious and it's best to stay away, as we have already spent on a survey for a property, which turned out to have major structural issues. And yes, what verge? Any advice would be much appreciated. There's so much to learn about houses!
It could have several causes, and it's a common place for movement to show up, but you need to have it not only diagnosed, but also quantified for costs (asking price reduction or budget for post purchase repair), and know what is being committed to.

Hello, we are looking to buy a house and noticed a diagonal crack above the top floor window. Should we be concerned?
Very common above windows due to loading stresses and thermal action.
Common in new housing to include bed joint reinforcement above and below openings to mitigate this risk.
Looks very minor and no evidence of a failed lintel or movement elsewhere so most likely not a concern but your surveyor will probably still recommend a structural report.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for all your help, much appreciated! And yes, we will certainly do a Level 3 survey as it is an older property.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back