Crack above window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had some new windows put in at the beginning of the year with no problems and I am sure the problem I am about to describe is not directly related however.....

I have just found some cracks above the window. Almost the full length of the brickwork above the window, with another crack running back towards the window frame itself, it feels almost like the plaster has come away from the brickwork. If you apply a small amount of pressure on the underside the crack lessens and if you gently tap along the underside it sounds hollow almost all the way across.

I am looking for advice on how to fix this. First option would be to get a plasterer in and remove loose and get it redone but this no doubt would not be that cheap. Second option as I see it is to fill with builders caulk or similar as best as I can into the crack/gap. Any thouhgts from anyone is this the type of problem I should let a pro look at.

Before we had the new windows we had wooden window frames and we got diagnol running cracks from the bottom corners of the window and one at the top right.

Sponsored Links
take off the loose plaster and have a look if the crack is on the brickwork aswell,are there lintels above the windows? theres no point filling it its still gonna be the same and theres no point getting a plasterer out he will advise the same but will have a better idea if the plaster is removed and you never know once you move it you might want to take the job on yourself.

The crack is about 1 inch abovethe start of plaster so its gonna be damn messy as for lintels I am not sure.

Thanks though will get a friend to have a butchers who has more experience I think than me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back