Cracked Brickwork Above Window Issues --HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a window in my apartment on the 3rd floor of the building which has cracked brickwork above it. The brickwork is causing water damage on the inside of the bedroom where the window is. Seems on days where there is heavy rain the brickwork is soaking up the water via capilliary action etc and causing damp and paintwork/plaster problems on the inside. I have taken photos. Please see attached. The question is can I render over the section with the damaged brickwork to stop the problems. The other cause I have solved as there were areas where the putty in the window frame had fallen out over time and water was coming into the brickwork via that route. I have filled those gaps using a external building sealant. If any one can give any tips on which product to use to fill in the cracks above the brickwork. Please note I cant replace the bricks as the building is very tall and getting access the level where the window frame is is very difficult and would require a huge scaffold framework to be built. However you can lean out of the window and easily reach that area where the cracks are. Provided I wear a harness it should be ok to do. So please take the time to look at my photos and offer any advice you can. Thanks in advance for any replies.

regards
dukes

Sponsored Links
That`s a job for your freeholder/landlord

Hi Nige
Actually me and the freeholder are not on speaking terms. To get it fixed via the freeholder will involve some sort of legal action. We had a big falling out over ground rent payment ...... so I need to fix this myself for now till all that clears up.

regards
dukes

That`s a job for your freeholder/landlord

Hi Nige
Actually me and the freeholder are not on speaking terms. To get it fixed via the freeholder will involve some sort of legal action. We had a big falling out over ground rent payment ...... so I need to fix this myself for now till all that clears up.

regards
dukes

Hold on a second, are you renting this from a landlord and is there a contract agreement in place!? You should find that it is his duty to rectify building issues...

More than that though, if you carry out unauthorised works to his building then he could find YOU in breach of the agreement and potentially kick you out!?

Sponsored Links
Hi
No I'm a leaseholder. Lets just say trying to get the freeholder to fix it without legal action is going to be impossible right now. So is there anyway I can fix myself??

dukes

If you mess with it, then you will be in breach of the lease, and if the freeholder is minded, then he can instigate legal action for correcting any work you do plus costs plus damages.

I doubt its just a crack that needs filing. It may require a new mortar fillet on top of those tiles, or resealing between the frame and arch. Or it could be a bigger problem of water penetrating further up. None of which is a job for hanging out of a window

If you are already on bad terms, then getting the council to serve a statutory nuisance claim on the landlord, will give him 21 days to sort it out, or face the magistrates court

If you're lucky, it could just be water getting in those gaps in the sealant under the arch. Some sealant might just sort the problem. If you're very lucky. If not, I think you're stuck with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back