Concerns about a crack in a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I am hoping that someone out there will be able to give me some informed advice, and not just a "top of the head" opinion. The following is about the house we bought thirty-six years ago. Its a small semi-detached built of brick, and it rests on a clay-only foundation.

This house had been owned by two people that never lived in it, but who let it out. The couple that lived in it before us lived there, as tenants, since 1947, when it was built (we bought it in 1982). It was thoroughly run-down, and one of my early jobs, to make it habitable by degrees while we lived in it, was to strip off the wallpaper from all the rooms, including the stairway.

When the old paper was stripped from the stairway, I saw a crack in the wall above the actual stairs (the wall that one passes beneath, on going up or down the stairs). By this, you will understand that the wall I am referring to is only about 8.5 feet high as it descends from the ceiling to the top of the void that is the stairway. (It is as wide as the stairs are, of course.)

The crack was diagonal, and started from being a hair-crack, near to the top-left corner of the wall. It extended, for perhaps six feet, towards the bottom-right corner of this wall, and widened until, at the furthest end, it may have been as much as a quarter of an inch wide.

The only thing that I could do was to fill it with filling-paste, sand it, and paper over it. Since then, no crack has appeared in the wallpaper (the same paper that was applied by me originally). If the crack had widened further, the white-painted wallpaper would have shown this, but it did not.) Outside the house (including the side that would be affected, if at all, by the crack — i.e. the side-wall of the building), block-paving was laid about fifteen years ago. This work involved the use of a "whacker-plate" machine (to compact the ballast that was laid prior to laying grit-sand and blocks). Recently, the house has also suffered the shocks of nearby pile-driving (which really shook all the houses that surrounded the building site, including ours) and there have been other disturbances, including the enthusiastic use of a "pummeller" (or "pummer") when a roving band of tarmac salesmen set out to put a tarmac path at the side of the house (twenty-five years ago).

I have observed no negative effects on the building, after the above operations.

Yet, I am bothered about the fact of there being a crack in this wall. For aught that I know, it may just have been a "settling' crack, as the house settled into its base after being built. However, I don't know. It may have a potential for serious subsidence.

One thing I have observed is that, about nine years ago, I fixed a Chubb security bolt into the edge of a bedroom door. This door is only about four feet away from the wall in which the crack was found (i.e. just across the landing). About twelve months after the tubular Chubb bolt had been fixed, I tested whether it worked (it worked immediately after being fitted), and found that it would not shoot. (This is because of subsequent movement in the building, surely.) So, it now cannot be used.

When renewing my insurance, in all honesty, I was compelled to declare that there is evidence of movement or subsidence in the building (because of the crack, though in fact, no subsidence has ever occurred). So, no subsidence cover is included in our insurance.

After this rambling story (it's all necessary background, however), I need to ask whether this kind of crack, in the location described, is a common feature of house-settlement in older houses, or whether I should be greatly concerned about it. Because my wife and I cannot be expected to live for very much longer, I should also like to feel that it will be possible to leave it to ours sons to sell, without the liability of having to declare that it may be unsafe. (Also, of course, I should not be happy for it to be passed on to another owner in its present state, if there is good reason for concern about the crack.)

Finally, I should be willing (if I could afford it, which may not be the case) to have some kind of building inspector to assess the property (without stripping any wallpaper off the wall) and to tell me whether the house is safe or not (and to provide some kind of certificate, to show the findings).

I also need to know where I can find a building inspector (or whatever he may be called) in Oldham, Lancashire; also, to hear what this forum may have to say about this whole mixed bag of concerns. I do not know anyone else that I might ask for advice!

With thank in hopeful anticipation of some advice/information/comments.
A.W.

Sponsored Links
First of all I think you have been foolish to tell your insurance there is evidence of movement or subsidence without getting an expert opinion. If you now try to make a claim for ANY structural damage to your property they may well not pay out or may pay a greatly reduced sum.
Regarding the bolt, all houses move slightly with heating up and cooling down. They don't always settle back into the same exact position. If the bolt was a close fit when originally fitted then it is highly likely it has simply moved out of alignment. Normally with subsidence you find walls out of alignment by a marked degree emphasised by large cracks around door/window frames and also between wall and ceiling.
In all honesty I think you are worrying about nothing. However, if you are really concerned you have subsidence then I suggest you get a qualified building surveyor in and tell him of your fears. You are highly unlikely to find the answer on a DIY forum, just some sound advice to contact the experts.

First of all I think you have been foolish to tell your insurance there is evidence of movement or subsidence without getting an expert opinion. If you now try to make a claim for ANY structural damage to your property they may well not pay out or may pay a greatly reduced sum.
Regarding the bolt, all houses move slightly with heating up and cooling down. They don't always settle back into the same exact position. If the bolt was a close fit when originally fitted then it is highly likely it has simply moved out of alignment. Normally with subsidence you find walls out of alignment by a marked degree emphasised by large cracks around door/window frames and also between wall and ceiling.
In all honesty I think you are worrying about nothing. However, if you are really concerned you have subsidence then I suggest you get a qualified building surveyor in and tell him of your fears. You are highly unlikely to find the answer on a DIY forum, just some sound advice to contact the experts.

Thanks for your comments, conny. I think you are right about my being foolish in telling the insurers about the crack. However, I saw it for what it actually is — evidence of movement, and being honest, was not easy in mind about telling what definitely would have been a lie. Incidentally, the door-frame to the immediate left of the wall in question (i.e the door at the end of this short landing) is not 100% square — it is at least 1 degree out of square, though there were and are no cracks in the wall that is immediately around this door-frame. I'm hoping, very much, that there will not be any further movement, to make the crack wider. (After nearly forty years, this doesn't seem likely.) However, what I was hoping to read (and did not) was a comment from someone on this forum, that would have been something like: Oh, this kind of cracking is common when a house settles, after building — especially in the wall above the stairway, which must be in a very vulnerable position (a high wall on the right of it, and the solidity of the house on its left, and the wall in the centre only being about 8 feet high, so it would take the strain of any movement, as the house settled). There is a crack like this in my house.... That would have been reassuring, at least.
Regards,
A.W.

Could you sumarise the actual question? And location of the cracking and even post photos? The house construction, your heating type and patterns?

In the meantime, rest assured that houses don't suddenly fall down, or even unsuddenly. I can write you a certificate that the house "is safe", post it here and you can download it and print it and stick it on your wall (with blutack, don't go hammering a nail in) and that will have as much credance as anyone else coming out and making the same assertion.

Sponsored Links
Could you sumarise the actual question? And location of the cracking and even post photos? The house construction, your heating type and patterns?

In the meantime, rest assured that houses don't suddenly fall down, or even unsuddenly. I can write you a certificate that the house "is safe", post it here and you can download it and print it and stick it on your wall (with blutack, don't go hammering a nail in) and that will have as much credance as anyone else coming out and making the same assertion.

I suppose this copy and paste, from my original posting, is the essence of my enquiry:— I need to ask whether this kind of crack, in the location described, is a common feature of house-settlement in older houses, or whether I should be greatly concerned about it. The place where the crack is has been fairly plainly indicated. With regard to photos, it's been papered over for nearly forty years, so there are no photos!

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/concerns-about-a-crack-in-a-wall.526838/#ixzz5vpdDvRyx

A door frame 1 degree out would be classed as a perfect doorway in reality, especially after 40 years since construction.
Rather than just say, "Yeah that's fine it always/often happens when houses settle." I wanted to try and explain the reason why the bolt may not work now. Woody is correct in saying all houses settle, even brand new ones, and often the utilities you use such as gas/electric/oil fired heating can have effects. Electric heating is known to dry the air, gas heating actually produces a lot of moisture. So there are many factors which can cause movement/alterations to a house fabric but it does not mean you have subsidence or slippage. This is confirmed by you saying one doorway is about 1 degree out of true. My present house does not have a doorframe less than about 4 degrees and the doors are planed to suit. The house was built in 1870 so is not a new build but it is not suffering from subsidence.
Rest assured your house is stable and will probably remain so for many years to come. Though no one will give you a written guarantee to that effect.

I lock our doors up at work, there is a noticable difference between summer and winter on the action of the locks.

I had to reem the lock keep out on one door, only 1mm but went from unusable to easily locked.

Our work building is over 100 years old.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back