Concerns over electrical connecton of combi-boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I just moved to a new flat and on removing the landlord's washing machine-which was situated underneath the combi-boiler in the kitchen - found that the electrical supply of both appliances was via an extension cord which lay on the floor. There was clearly damp on the tiles, suggesting that there had been some leakage.

The boiler is connected via the extension, which was next to the washing machine water supply; next to this was an (unused) hot water pipe, but with nothing to stop the water flow should the stop-tap have been turned.

See the picture below- my question is, is this acceptable? My gut feeling is that it isn't, and I had thought a boiler needed a separate/isolated power supply or something similar? And the fact it is lying below the level of all the pipes just seems dangerous.

(This was all hidden behind a washer and work surface, the finish in the rest of the property is pretty good, hence I was surprised/concerned by this!)

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks. J.

IMG_2625.JPG

Sponsored Links
I don't understand what purpose the extension lead has. Both appliances could be plugged directly into the double socket.

A boiler and other fixed appliances are best supplied via a fused switch spur which disconnects bot live and neutral.

But its little less dangerous to have a supply via a plug which can be removed.

So its not ideal but not very bad either!

An unused WMC pipe should be removed and a cap screwed onto the supply tap. But again this is not good but not really very bad either!

Tony

Thanks Tony, that's reassuring. I assume if they are plugged directly in to the available mains socket, the issue of it getting wet due to any minor leak at round level is minimised as well? (And the lead to the boiler is clearly long enough, given that the extension is lying below the level of the socket!)

It was just a little unsettling to see the water pipes and electrical extensions lying side by side on the floor...

Sponsored Links
The extension has probably been used as it may be impossible to get a plug into the right socket, due to the position of the tiles / concrete wall right in front of it.

In any case, there is nothing inherently wrong with the arrangement. It's untidy, but not unsafe.
If the floor is wet, the solution is to get the leak fixed, rather than moving the electrics out of the way.

As everyone says, it's not breaking any rules but as far as being acceptable, I wouldn't be very happy with it..

You really want the fly lead connected into a Fused Connection Unit (FCU) sited away from the underside of the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back