Concrete advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for someone with previous experience. I layed a concrete foundation for a small oak beam wall which im using for a raised patio retaining wall. I layed it yesterday afternoon and checked on it today and it still looks damp and is quite soft . Would this be expected as its still drying or have i cocked up somewhere?

Used a mixture of 6 parts ballast one part cement as per the bags suggestion for medium concrete

Sponsored Links
depends what you mean by quite soft, it wont be anywhere near rock hard after one day, and It will still look damp because it is damp, you don't want it drying out to fast anyway as it will weaken it, if I do a drive I pour water on it for a few days after its laid to stop it drying to quickly

Soft as in i can lever bits of the aggregate out that are at the surface. Its dry enough to support bodyweight but like i say ive never done anything like this before so dont know what to expect

Concrete does not gain strength by drying, it gains it by curing. The cement undergoes a chemical reaction similar to crystallisation, and water is essential for this process. If concrete dried out completely in 24 hours it would never gain strength because it wouldn't cure!

Leave it alone for a week in these temperatures, then build on it

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back