Calculating how much cement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

As I have said in some other threads I'm going to be building myself a new shed. Part of this is obviously laying a floor. The current plan is for brick on foundations round the edges which the wall will sit on, then a hardcore subsurface and concrete base for the shed, with a 'false' wooden floor, and insulation on top of it.

I need to work out a cost for getting this built, and using the useful info page I can get the mixture ratio for the concrete, but can't find any detail on how much volume a bag will fill....

All help appreciated

Sponsored Links
can't find any detail on how much volume a bag will fill....

Hand bag?

Shopping bag?

Rubble bag?

Tonne bag?

Sports bag?

Old bag?

No wonder you found it difficult..... :rolleyes:

If you mean a trade tonne bag then this will do roughly half a cubic metre and would require about 6 or 7 x 25kg bags of cement (and water) mixed with it to produce concrete

Thanks. I think.

Never seen a handbag full onf concrete, but SWMBO's weighs enough so I could be wrong.

To add to my Query then:

In a mix for foundations what volume will a 25kg bag of cement mixed to form concrete fill?

In a mix for flooring use what volume will a 25kg bag of cement mixed to form concrete fill?

Think I have covered that. I should be able to work out the amount of ballast/sand etc needed from those answers and the ratios on the how to page.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
In a mix for foundations what volume will a 25kg bag of cement mixed to form concrete fill?

In a mix for flooring use what volume will a 25kg bag of cement mixed to form concrete fill?
Crazy questions???? :confused:

Concrete is generally mixed at 6 parts ballast (sand and gravel mixed) to 1 part cement. It can be made weaker or stronger if you wish. It can also be mixed sloppy or semi-dry so the filling capacity changes as does the depth of foundations and floor slab depths.

You would be better off giving a measurement of what needs filling and we will tell you quantities required. I suppose given that a ratio of 6:1 is a typical concrete mix, then a 25 kg bag of dust will produce 0.075m³ volume of concrete.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back