1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Metal Shed Foundation

Discussion in 'Building' started by bigtel, 3 May 2020.

1. bigtel

bigtel

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

I’m after some help with a foundation for a metal shed. We had a 5’x10’ wooden shed, which we’ve removed and found out that it was laid on bricks with concrete slabs around the side of it.

We want a bigger shed (7’x10’) and I wanted the foundation to be the flooring within the shed.

The bricks are slightly higher than the concrete based, maybe up to 25mm.

As the area is bigger than the shed I was thinking of placing timber around the edges and creating a concrete foundation, this would then take up the difference in height of the bricks and slabs.

Would you agree this is an easy solution? There’s nothing heavy going into the shed.

My main question is how much sand and cement would I need as it seems a lot but I’ve never done this before.

Dimensions:

W - 2.8m
    L - 4m
    Depth - 50mm ?

= 0.56 cubic meters

I’ve been advised a 4:1 sharp sand / cement would do the job.

Does that work out about 8 bags of cement and 32 bags of sand?

Any help appreciated,

Thanks,

Tel

Attached Files:

2. Sponsored Links
  3. noseall

noseall

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I couldn't grasp whether you were extending the sides or covering what was there? To extend the sides you would be better using ballast at 6:1.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. bigtel

bigtel

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

Covering what is there at the minute.

We’ve just had any thought that maybe we could remove the bricks and replace them with 600mm concrete slabs.

It’s all down to cost really.

Thanks

5. noseall

noseall

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    At 50mm thick, I might still be inclined to use ballast, but with a couple of (kinder) bags of pea gravel thrown in, when laying over the thin area.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. bigtel

bigtel

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks

7. oldbutnotdead

oldbutnotdead

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Council pavers as a base will work fine, if you're pouring concrete (not sand/cement) then 50mm can be a bit fragile unless your base prep is spot-on
    As an aside, have you gone for a tin shed on price grounds? They generally suffer horribly from condensation

8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

9. Sponsored Links