Concrete ratio, how much cement is too much?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i've got a cellar underpinning job going on, and i just need to know one thing..is it advisable to mix a concrete ratio of 1:2:2? It's for the floor and a backfilled retaining wall, so it needs to be strong but how much can i get away with before there's too much cement in the mix? Cheers for any help :)

Sponsored Links
trick is to not over mix it, not make to too wet and tamp or vibrate to settle it properly - that way you make the most of the potential strength of the mix

Sponsored Links
What mix was specified? If the slab is structural then you should at least have a designated mix in the engineer's specification.

1:2:2 is going to be a pretty strong mix, probably somewhere in the region of C35 - C40 I would think...

Anyway, you can't really add too much cement, within reason. The more cement you add, the stronger the concrete will be, as long as the water/cement ratio is kept to acceptable levels for strength and workability.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back