How much Ballast/Cement do I need

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm building a concrete base for a 10'x6' shed, I've got my 4" of hardcore down but need to order my ballast and cement.

This is my first real "building" project and I have no idea how much ballast and cement to order or how much it will cost me.

Can anyone give me an idea so I don't embarrass myself when I visit my local TP!!!

Many thanks!

Mike.

Sponsored Links
0.6m³ @ 100mm depth if casting the same size as the shed. So 25 bags ballast and 6 bags cement should see you right. You will probably be cheaper getting a grab bag and you can then use the extra to increase the depth of the slab to 150mm (or whatever it works out to).

Either way you will get your backside spanked if you buy from TP. I had to get some tarmac from TP the other week - no word of a lie - they charged me double the price of the exact same product at my local BandQ :rolleyes:

I sometimes wonder how they stay in business and who sets their pricing strategies.

0.6 m3 equates to a little over a tonne of ballast plus 7 x 25 kg bags of cement.

If it were me i'd have a tonne bag delivered with seven bags of cement then fetch a few more 25kg bags if needed.

Our builders yard will do 1/4 tonne portions for the regulars but i'm not so sure about bigger firms or sheds.

Sponsored Links
Brilliant thanks Hotrod. How big are the bags?

Must have been driven to distraction lamenting TP's prices last night and miscalc'd the number of bags required for your base :LOL:

As pointed out by Nose you will need a full grab bag which is approx a tonne and 7 25kg bags of cement. Don't know what prices are like down in London but I would expect to pay around £30 for a grab bag of ballast and £3.50 for a 25kg of OPC cement.

hth

Excellent - thanks all, I can now order with confidents!!!

Happy Easter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back