Concrete and skimming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have two questions please:

1. I have a square patch of built up soil in my back garden that I'd like to remove and concrete over. I've had a quote today and he said he would remove all the soil down to 6 inches then fill with stones and then 4 inches of concrete -for £250 including materials (and removable of the soil) - does this sound ok or ridiculously cheap?

Also, he said he could skim the whole area (as it's next to existing concreted path) to make it uniform but I've been told by other tradesman that this wouldn't last long as it would crack - any advice on this please?

2. I also need my driveway doing as it's currently one large patch of concrete for the car, one for the path and in between is sunken tarmac and soil around the edges - I'd like to get the tarmac replaced with concrete (and the soiled edges concreted) and then the whole area skimmed to look the same - again, as above, I've been told this won't last - any comments on whether this is true or would I need to have the whole lot ripped up and concreted (I was quoted £2000 for re-doing the whole area)?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sizes of areas would help.
Also, accessibility, how high is the soil, intended use of areas?

The skimming of the whole area is the suspect bit, and the bit that others are probably suggesting won't last.

The soil area is approx 11 ft x 12 ft by 9 inches deep. It would just be used as an area to sit on really.

In terms of the front, this is probably double the size and would be used for cars. Is it likely to be a bad idea to just patch it up in areas not already concreted rather than replace the whole lot?

Sponsored Links
seems a bit cheap to me 4" of concrete for the area in question is around £120 then 5" the stone + labour and muck away there aint much profit in that job for somone.

As for the drive 4 to 6" of concrete would do a car dependant on your ground
I'd probably avoid hardcore underneath though if it aint binded tight together (if your running cars on)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back