10' x 6' Metal Shed on a concrete base.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my next-door neighbour (in his 70's) has asked me to help him with a metal shed he's ordered, its 10ft x 6ft and will require being screwed down.

The soil is quite soft and under the soil it's clay, he just wants to plonk down some concrete but I've told him it needs some hardcore first about 2-3 inches and then about 4 inch of concrete is that about right? I tend to over engineer but better that than to fail.

I also told him to over size the concrete to 11ft x 7 ft as he was going to lay it to size i.e. 10ft x 6ft but reminded him if he put screws in near the edge they'd just crack the concrete.

Also, how long would you need to leave the concrete before fitting the shed onto it?

Thanks (y)

Sponsored Links
Most sheds need to be fitted on an exact size base so the cladding hangs down over the edge and forms a drip.

If you make the concrete bigger I would think you will make a ledge for standing water, or water to run under the shed

Most sheds need to be fitted on an exact size base so the cladding hangs down over the edge and forms a drip.

If you make the concrete bigger I would think you will make a ledge for standing water, or water to run under the shed
Fair point, I'll have to check what the requirements for the shed are as I haven't actually seen it yet, it gets delivered in 2 weeks and I have the joy of constructing it. o_O

yes best the base is smaller than the shed more so if there is no floor and the concrete is the floor as you wont get a water tight seal easily between base and floor on a long time basis and it will also act as a ledge to hold water causing rot and rust far quicker than free draining surfaces
as an aside plastic and metal sheds have always been a nightmare for condensation if they dont have a good ballance between good insulation and and good ventilation

Sponsored Links
Just a word of warning, when my 10 x 10 metal shed arrived, I didn't expect it to come in a box less that 2ft wide!

All the small sheets for the walls and roof had to be screwed together...it was a ruddy nightmare. (You might be prepared for this, but I thought I would mention it just in case).

Personally I got some decent ply for the floor (which I screwed the shed to), with tantalised battons to go underneath the ply. Then I placed it on some paving slabs. Much quicker and less effort for around the same price as concrete floor.

I've got a 50cm deep concrete slab under our 4mx3m shed, the rails are bolted to the floor in 4 corners and sealed around the perimeter.

I built the roof on the floor then lifted it onto the corner supports but that part really was a 3 man job!.

As said above, I cut ventilation slots in ours and fitted grills to get the air moving around.

You'll be looling at best part of a day to get it all together.

My Yardmaster's 10+ years old and no signs of rust anywhere.

Thanks for all the tips and advice, I'll be popping round tomorrow so I'll know more.

I've put a metal shed up before and I have to say it was absolutely awful to do, why they can't just make the shed sides up so all you have to do is bolt the corners I'll never know, logic goes out the window with these beasts. That was on a concrete base already done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back