Concrete and weeds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I know that this is the place to get the best advice but wasn't sure what section this should go in as it is sort of split into two different areas but here goes...

Front garden has a large concrete slab (hardstanding/carport) It has cracked in several places but the gaps are relatively long and narrow. The whole slab is still very stable.

There are weeds growing out of the cracks.

I want to kill off the weeds then dig out any loose stuff and fill in the cracks.

SO....

I have two questions viz.

(a) What is the best weedkiller to sort the weeds out (kill them down to the roots)??

(b) What is the best stuff to fill in the cracks so that it still gives an amount of flexibility but will prevent light entering and the weeds eventually growing back??

I don't think mortar or concrete repair will be up to the task. I was wondering whether there exists any form of exterior flexible stuff (akin to roofing sealant or epoxy/silicon) which would do the trick.

Thanks muchly.

Belboz

Sponsored Links
Ideally you would grind out the cracks so they are at least 3-5mm consistant width. then polysulphide mastic which is designed for use in movement and expansion joints would be the perfect job.

It is quite expensive though so normal silicone would probably do ok or trowel mastic.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much Neo.

I will give it a go once I get rid of the weeds.

Any ideas on best killer?

I want something that kills from the roots. Not fussed about price or time.

:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back