Concrete base board retaining wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been pondering over this for a while but I need a cheap solution for a retaining wall on a patch of land at the side of my house.

I want to semi level the areas and am thinking of using 2 x 12" concrete base boards (24" high holding back around 22" of soil) over a length of about 60 feet.

The ground will then be turfed, not being used for heavy i.e. parking cars.

I know it isn't ideal but I've seen that there have been success stories as well as failures. I want mine to be a success!

I'm thinking of using 4ft concrete post 2 feet in to the ground. Does that sound OK or a bit excessive? Maybe 3ft 6in? 18 inch in the ground?

Are there better quality baseboards i.e. stronger than others?

Thinking about reducing pressure against the boards and drainage what would be recommended? Due to the nature of the land I would have good run off for any drainage.

I have thought about using railway sleepers but it would be a lot more expensive and I'm not sure my back would hold up to handling the amount of sleepers that I'd need!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back