Concrete base for a garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to build my self a detached garage.
The size of the garage will be less than 30 square meters (floor area),
Therefore I am not required to follow building regulation and have meter deep foundations (This I have been told by my local council).
I would however like to have a good strong steel reinforced base. The question I have to ask is: Can anybody suggest what layers I will need in my base and what thickness these layers need to be.
Example 30cm of hardcore then 20cm of sand then 10cm concrete, steel mesh and finally 20cm of concrete.
Ps. The ground on which I am going to build this garage is (under the top soil and grass) full of rag stone.
I will be using a fiber-glass roofing material, therefore the weight of the garage will be kept to a minimum.

Sponsored Links
I haven't much time to write this now but if you have a look at this website to help you.( a lot of information) I will be in tonight if you need any more info unless someone answer before me.

Cheers masona,
I've not had time to have a good look at that web you have suggested
but the quick look that I have had has been very informative.
Thank you very much. :D

How is your garage going ?
If you get stuck I can prodoce some detailed drawings for you showing all materials required , full specification and minimum laps required for the reinforcement and visqueen.

Sponsored Links
it is kind of you to ask, but i doubt if you will get a reply from jason_waller it was posted October 24 and they were the only two posts jason_waller ever made. shame really

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back