Concrete block make up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have dug 2 holes for my garden gate posts. The holes are 760mm x 760mm x760mm (approx.), and I am using 150mm x 150mm posts x2000mm

How much cement, sand and gravel will I need to fill the holes to secure the posts?

Sponsored Links
Your holes shouldn't have been much larger than 300-500mm sq. You're going to need about 1cu mtr of concrete to fill those 2 holes, and a here's link to help you work it out

I am sorry I have to laugh. Going to be the most over engineered posts in the world world world world.......

I have dug 2 holes for my garden gate posts. The holes are 760mm x 760mm x760mm (approx.), and I am using 150mm x 150mm posts x2000mm

I've just bought some shares in LaFarge - hopefully I got in there before your concrete order rocked the markets!

Sponsored Links

Are they enormous gates and you're planning on installing the posts off-centre and use the concrete as a form of upside-down cantilever or something?

Unless they are steel posts they wont be strong enough for massive gates :)

A good tip for gateposts, to prevent them leaning together, is to trench between the two pits so you can pour a ground beam to hold them upright.

The world is a stage and everyones a comedian. Oh well, at least they should stand up to the next storm, then maybe I will be the one with a smile on my face.

By the way, the gate is a hardwood, 12' wide, 5 bar agricultural one so will need good support.

You might want to chuck some old bricks/blocks in with the concrete to help fill it out a bit.

Ouch, big gates. I'd have gone a bit deeper, but not so wide, in fact, I think going down to a metre wouldn't be a bad idea. You might as well go for broke at this stage, as you've got a very heavy cantilever on those gates. And tomfes made a good point, a few concrete blocks thrown in after an initial 100mm layer wouldn't go amiss. This is definitely not a standard upright post scenario that everyone was expecting.

Which is why I will also be fitting a jockey wheel for support on the latch side. Good idea about the bricks/blocks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back