How many bags?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick question. I have 2 holes in my back garden, (replacing 2 fence posts), which I need to fill with sand& cement.
The 2 posts that have rotted are 90 x90mm encased in a concrete block 12" below the lawn surface. The concrete block is at least 10" thick so no question of it being dug out. My plan now is to simple replace the posts by standing them on top of the remaining stump and then infill with sand, cement and gravel. As it's a rented house, and I doubt I will be here in 10 years time, I'm not bothered they won't last a lifetime.

My question is, how many bags of sand and cement will I need for the 2 posts? The hole is approximately 9" x9" x 12 deep. (I have 6 bags of gravel from the last tenant)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I've always been taught to give all possible information that MAY be needed. :)

How tall is the fence? A post only a foot in the ground isn't going to have much hold.

It's all academic now as LL says he will sort it out under the terms of our lease.
He's quite good a doing things he says he will but I like to try not to take advantage and call him over problems I could resolve myself, even if it involves a small cost.
The posts were 5' above ground level so would need to be around 2' deep for a 3 1/2" square post.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back