Concrete block shed base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am getting a new 10x8 shed delivered in about three weeks, and I still need to sort out a base.

I am thinking about getting some dense 7N concrete blocks, and laying 8ft wooden fence posts on these. eg something like this (not my photo)

Can I just lay the concrete blocks in a hole in the soil so that about half of the block is buried? I think I will need to put some sub base material into the hole first and compact it down, or could I use some large gravel which I already have? Should the concrete blocks be mortared into the hole?

This is my plan:

Will this work?

Thanks

PC

Sponsored Links
Overdoing the footings will be a blessing in the future as the ground gets soggy, and allows the blocks to drop a tad lower. Saves you jacking up the frame I the future to add an additional block.

See if you can 'sister' the lengths, and protect the ends of the wood with something to stop them rotting?

Hi, when you say overdoing the footings, what do you suggest? Perhaps fixing the concrete blocks with some post mix?

And what do you mean by sister the lengths? Double up?

Cheers.

Overdoing as in increasing the coverage of the footing? Elephant foot compared to a gazelles foot so to speak?

Yes, doubling up. Less gluing them, more nuts and bolts?

Sponsored Links
Did you just put the blocks on the sub base/hardcore/ or did you use any kind of sharp sand/cement dry mixes well on top of that.

Putting mine just on the mot hardcore at the moment and was wondering if I should bed onto sharp sand as well?

Doing the same at the moment so any advice would be great?

Thanks

Will a dry mixed sand/cement be prone to moving over time, so just using the hardcore would be better?

Forget hardcore and forget or mortar. Hammer the blocks firmly into 4" of stiff concrete. Lean mix is fine, like 1 : 3: 6 cement, sand, stone

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back