Concrete block.

MB1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a retaining wall using 'H' blocks (see picture). Each block will have 4 vertical rebars and 2 horizontal rebars and will be filled with concrete. I live in Spain and my builder has never seen blocks like this before. He wants to lay them in the standard staggered fashion, however I think that they should be laid one on top of the other so as to ensure that a columns of concrete are formed. He also wants to use mortar between the blocks is this necessary?

Sponsored Links
I don't know about these wacky european building methods, but the principle of building with blocks is to bond alternate courses to give the wall strength. If you stack these, then you end up with vertical weak joints and inherent weakness.

Surely your local builder knows how to use these?

Sponsored Links
surely if they are laid staggered youll still get teh same effect with the concrete infill, and the normal strength as per woody says from the bond. no different to the hollow blocks we use over here for threading over rebar

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back