Concrete blocks on concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon :)

I’ve just Finnish pouring my footings (trench full) and I have a little discrepancy in my level… no one to blame apart from myself or was just difficult getting it level as it’s a small area and a couple of pipes ran in the way . Anyway …

Would it be acceptable to lay a couple of blocks on a firm but wet concrete bed instead of mortar? It’s just to raise the level of the blocks a little .

It’s not enough to cut a slice off a block but too much I think for a thick mortar bed if that makes sense?

It’s going to be a single block/ render porch. The rest of the blues/ blocks above the foundation will be a 4:1 mortar mix
Thanks
Jake

Sponsored Links
How much are you wanting to raise it?

If it’s say 25mm, just use a thicker bed of mortar. If it’s more, then you could cut concrete common bricks/blocks to suit the height. Get this initial course as good as you can and it will make the other courses easier to sort out.

hi mr Chibs,

I’d say it’s around 35mm which is making it hard for me to figure out as by the time I’ve got a 10 mm bed on a slice I’d be cutting 25mm off a block lol but I think 35mm is too much for a bed of mortar ‍♀️
thanks

I wouldn’t worry for a porch, use the mix you’ve suggested don’t add too much water, build it up in mortar.

I’ve read before some have used tiles, brick slips, quarry tiles, all sorts to pad it out.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back