Concrete deck flat roof refurb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

As part of on going (seemingly never ending!) renovation we have discovered our bit of flat roof over a previously added extension isnt in good shape. Its amazing what some insulated plasterboard can hide! The existing celing looked fine.

Basically all the battens that were fitted for the original celing were completely rotten, like a cross between sponge and cardboard with some interesting fungi/moulds.
The original celing plasterboard was soaking and once the insulated PB/current celing had been removed, the old celing gave way under its own weight/decay.

Outside there is old felt, which probably needs replaced and im not sure if there is a fall in roof to direct water off it to the guttering. Looking at the worst point of rot its i the middle of roof along the edge where it meets the original wall.
Flat roof area shown in pic below as Utility room (2x3m approx)

As the property is a Bungalow, there isnt much height difference between the top of the flat roof and main roof, maybe 8" with guttering/fascia/sofits in this space.

Whats the best method to fix? Would the deck need removed to properly inspect how the roof is tied in?

As for insulation options, I have a few sheets of 100mm kingspan left over from doing the floor could these be utilisted for a warm or cold roof provided i have space? Is it worth considering replacing the concrete deck with something else?

Cheers Neil

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back