Concrete Drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We want to extend our drive to park a heavy car on in front of the house. I get that we have to dig down, how deep to support a big car? The driveway is a slight slope and we want to shape it too will this cause us a problem?

Moved as originally posted in WRONG FORUM (general diy)

Sponsored Links
How a driveway performs is down to preparation. The depth is an important factor, but if you went down a metre and the ground was poor, then you could still have problems. What you need is good loadbearing ground and one that is stable and won't move with wetting and drying (weather). As the last post said try the paving expert ;)

if you go down a mtere and the ground is un-secure what about youre house that would be unsafe also. if you have a normal mud base, dig down about 10 inches add a layer of hard core about 3 inches deep after you have prepered youre shuttering to siut the shape /slope of youre concreting then add apprx 6" concrete this will support the weight of a standard car with ease.

Sponsored Links
What I meant by my last post, is that you need good loadbearing ground. This may be 100mm deep or it could be more. The hardcore that you put down will only perform well if the ground below it is good. The main purpose of hardcore is to make up the difference between the ground below and the underside of the concrete, it should also be clean and free of sulphates etc.

Basically, if you are on bad ground that shrinks or moves, then the hardcore will move with it, potentially creating voids below the concrete. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back