Concrete Driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a new 30 metre driveway that slopes with a gradient of 1:6
at its steepest point. I need to surface the driveway and do not wish to use gravel as it is likely to move over time. I am considering using concrete with gravel rolled into the surface to make it more attractive. Does anyone have any experience of using such a technique?

The driveway is in a rural situation and I do not want to go to the expense of tarmac.

David

Sponsored Links
Hi, david,
Have you considered block sets? (they look like bricks laid in herringbone pattern (usually)and cost about 18p each.)
There are a number of firms that advertise patterned concrete drives, however I doubt they are cheap or any good.
Why do you think tarmac is expensive? I would expect it to be one of the cheapest options, and as you say, you cannot use loose gravel on a gradient of that steepness.

Thanks Chesspy,

I haven't got a quote for tarmac as I assumed it would be espensive but I will get one. Also concrete or sets is something we can do on site ourselves whereas tarmac isn't. I will definately lok at sets aswell.

Thanks again

David

Hi, David,
It occurs to me that your drive at 1 in 6 is very steep, and as tarmac is a liquid, you might also be buying problems if you used it.

Sponsored Links
Plenty of tarmac roads around here at 1:6 and 1:7 which don't seem inclined to wander. Maybe depends on the makeup?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back