Certificated and Non certificated crushed concrete???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody please tell me what the difference is between the certificated and non certificated crushed concrete?

I need some for a gravel driveway I am doing on my home, and the MOT type 1 certificated stuff is £38 per ton plus vat, where as the non certificated stuff is only £11 per ton plus vat.

I am only graveling a driveway.

Appreciate any info.

Sponsored Links
Purely a guess, but the certificated is exactly what it says on the tin whereas the non-cert'd can have all sorts of foreign bodies in it.
(That's in it not innit)

(I hope this doesn't start an anti-immigration sub-thread)

Thanks for the reply.

I understand what you are saying, but does that mean it is no good for a sub base?

I'm only a DIY'er but I wouldn't use the non-cert'd stuff for a sub-base 'cos there's a chance it'll have bio-degradeable stuff in, which will do just that and over time you'll end up with voids under the surface.

Another guess is that a Building Inspector would not pass it either.

But it's just my guesswork. I've never used it so I have no experience of how much 'contamination' there would be.

Incidentally, I think that MOT type 2 is OK and a bit cheaper than MOT type 1.
See this:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=127643

If the non cert'd stuff is type 2, then it's probably OK to use, but the price would make me very wary.

Sponsored Links
I have 2x companies local to me offering the following:

company 1-
Type 1 crushed concrete £15 per ton +Vat

Company 2-
Non certificated crushed concrete £11 per ton +Vat
75mm to dust.

Aside from the fact that company 2 has 75mm (quite big for my driveway?) to dust, any reason why one is any better than the other? (aside from the price)

???

How come there's a £23 discrepancy from your first post to your most recent?

Perhaps this explains it better:

http://aggregain.wrap.org.uk/terminology/type_1.html

Reproduced:

Type 1

A specification for granular materials used as sub-base, as defined by the Specification for Highway Works, clause 803. Type 1 materials include crushed rock, crushed slag, crushed concrete and well-burnt, non-plastic shale - but sand and gravels are excluded.

Type 2

A specification for granular material used as sub-base, as defined by the Specification for Highway Works clause 804. Type 2 materials include crushed rock, crushed slag, crushed concrete, well-burnt non-plastic shale, and natural sand and gravels.

I think I've seen somewhere that Type 1 is more or less guarranteed to have no voids with 40mm particles down to dust, Type 2 probably no voids with 70mm particles down to dust and Type 3 up to 30% voids are possible.

I would ask your suppliers if they state that their product is MOT Type 1/2.

I think I've also misread your intentions. Are you thinking of using this as the finished surface? If so, I would think again. It should be used as a sub layer, compacted, and in the case of gravel as a finished surface, separated with a permeable material.

But I would repeat, I'm no expert. It's just my opinion.

Wisdom suggests that if you are laying any concrete then steer away from 'contaminated' products, particularly if using within a dwelling.

Problems can arise when using infill that has the potential to release harmful gasses. Sulphate gas can destroy cement based products particularly in damp conditions.

MOT type 1 is an inert and stable hard core infill that is suitable for most applications.

I am only graveling a driveway
Use crushed concrete or whatever. I don't think it will make a difference.
I would be a little nervous though if there was a lot of broken tarmac within the infill! :eek:

Wisdom suggests that if you are laying any concrete then steer away from 'contaminated' products, particularly if using within a dwelling.

Problems can arise when using infill that has the potential to release harmful gasses. Sulphate gas can destroy cement based products particularly in damp conditions.

MOT type 1 is an inert and stable hard core infill that is suitable for most applications.

I am only graveling a driveway
Use crushed concrete or whatever. I don't think it will make a difference.
I would be a little nervous though if there was a lot of broken tarmac within the infill! :eek:

i am concerned about the difference between what you are all talking about.. type 1 is a natural sub base... i.e. stone. crushed concrete does have no compatibility with type 1. or with the lesser aggregates.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back