Is recycled MOT Type 1 Aggregate still ok for driveway?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon Everyone

The time has come to put a driveway at the front of my house. I have dug down approx 20 - 25cm and am ready to put a base in. From reading online it says to use MOT type 1 @ 10cm - 15cm.

I will do some more phoning around on Monday to try and get some better prices but so far have only found MOT Type 1 for around £45 a ton. There are 2 local companies local who sell recycled MOT Type 1 which I believe is just crushed bricks, concrete etc and this is at a cost of £12 and £18 a ton, depending on who you use.

Has anyone used recycled type 1 before? Obviosuly the cost saving is quite big so if its just as good then I will go for it. Im just concerned that I dont want to put a new drive down and find it starts sinking in a years time.

ps. I have about 64sqm to cover. Any idea how many tonnes I will need to do this at 10 - 15cm once compacted?

Thanks
Greg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What finish are you going to use after the hardcore?
You are making a impermeable surface by using mot1 so might need planning permission.

£45 per ton of MOT 1 is retail bulk bag cost, loose its about £20, none certified rocks 1" down is about £10.

The recycled MOT1 won't be MOT1 it will be 1" down as they won't have it certified for that cost.

I would say you'd need about 16ton of rocks, I think 6 wheeler does 20ton so you're not far off a full load.

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the reply Tomfe. We are going with some block paving for the finished surface. I wasn't aware using type 1 makes the surface impermeable so will have a look into that. I need to submit a new application to the council for a new wall anyway so could tag the driveway onto that.

I will give a few places a call and see if I can get closer to the prices you have suggested. Ps do you know if the type 1 can be compacted in 1 go or do I need to do a couple of thinner layers and compact each separately?

Sponsored Links