Is recycled MOT Type 1 Aggregate still ok for driveway?

M

mranon

Afternoon Everyone

The time has come to put a driveway at the front of my house. I have dug down approx 20 - 25cm and am ready to put a base in. From reading online it says to use MOT type 1 @ 10cm - 15cm.

I will do some more phoning around on Monday to try and get some better prices but so far have only found MOT Type 1 for around £45 a ton. There are 2 local companies local who sell recycled MOT Type 1 which I believe is just crushed bricks, concrete etc and this is at a cost of £12 and £18 a ton, depending on who you use.

Has anyone used recycled type 1 before? Obviosuly the cost saving is quite big so if its just as good then I will go for it. Im just concerned that I dont want to put a new drive down and find it starts sinking in a years time.

ps. I have about 64sqm to cover. Any idea how many tonnes I will need to do this at 10 - 15cm once compacted?

Thanks
Greg

Sponsored Links
What finish are you going to use after the hardcore?
You are making a impermeable surface by using mot1 so might need planning permission.

£45 per ton of MOT 1 is retail bulk bag cost, loose its about £20, none certified rocks 1" down is about £10.

The recycled MOT1 won't be MOT1 it will be 1" down as they won't have it certified for that cost.

I would say you'd need about 16ton of rocks, I think 6 wheeler does 20ton so you're not far off a full load.

Thanks for the reply Tomfe. We are going with some block paving for the finished surface. I wasn't aware using type 1 makes the surface impermeable so will have a look into that. I need to submit a new application to the council for a new wall anyway so could tag the driveway onto that.

I will give a few places a call and see if I can get closer to the prices you have suggested. Ps do you know if the type 1 can be compacted in 1 go or do I need to do a couple of thinner layers and compact each separately?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back